*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is my 2L flask heat safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
ClarnoBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is my 2L flask heat safe?

I bought this flask used. It looks like all the other ones I've seen, but it has no markings as to what it's made of or who made it. I'm wondering if it's safe to boil in. I don't have to, but it would be handy. I'd rather not find out by having it shatter on my stove! Here's a link to a pic of it: flask

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
HomerJR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's heat safe.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks like an Erlenmeyer flask to me. If you boil on a gas stove you should be okay. If it's an electric heating element take it easy and keep the heat on medium. It will take longer but there is a higher probability that it will break if you crank it up on high.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i dropped one of my 2L in the sink.. i had it inverted while scrubbing off some charred boiul over when it shot out of my hand. after all the reading of carboys jumping to their death, my flask tried. thank the good beer god it didn't break. pyrex and bomex make good stuff. you can take it right off the stove boiling and submerge it to the liquid level OR LESS in ice water.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Clarno, it should be labeled as towhat kind of glass it is. Pyrex, Kimax, and a few others will work. Google the brand name, and if it is borosilicate it is OK.

steve

Quick Reply