Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > MrMalty - Two vials - Two Different Viability Dates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default MrMalty - Two vials - Two Different Viability Dates

I'm making a starter using WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen. Because it's a lager, I'm opting to go the route of using two vials. However, each vial has different 'use by' dates (one is for September 3 and the other for November 11). Anyone have an idea as to what the viability for this starter in the Mr Malty yeast rate pitching calculator? I played with the dates and it certainly plays a pretty large role in the size of the starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
optimatored
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it were me, I would do a 4 liter starter for that big of a lager and not worry about the production dates.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since white labs tries to put an "expiration date" of 4 months after manufacture to come out to 50% viability, I would average the two. One is about 1 month old and the other 3 months old so I could tell the mrmalty calculator a date 2 months ago for figuring out a starter. It might not be scientific, but its also just a general guide.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Find the viability of each and add them. I got 75% for one and 27% for the other so you can assume 1 vial at 102% (production date is 4 months prior to date stamped on vial). Uncheck the "Calculate Viability from Date" and type in 102%. Move the growth factor slider until the "#Vials or packs needed with starter" shows 1. So for example, for a 5 gallon 1.054 lager starter on a stirplate, I get a 3 liter starter for your 2 vials.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply