New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Mr Malty Vs Beersmith 2.0 Yeast Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
Beersmith is pre-set with a higher growth rate factor for a stir plate than Mr. Malty uses.

Go to Options -> Yeast Starter -> Stir Plate Factor - set to 1.55 (default is 2.66) your numbers will then match Mr. Malty almost exactly.
Great information. I love discovering new ways to use BeerSmith. I am bookmarking your tip. I wonder what the definitive answer really is. I know Brad at BeerSmith threw down the gauntlet to Jamil about this issue, but I can't find a MrMalty response.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
smuth10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
Beersmith is pre-set with a higher growth rate factor for a stir plate than Mr. Malty uses.

Go to Options -> Yeast Starter -> Stir Plate Factor - set to 1.55 (default is 2.66) your numbers will then match Mr. Malty almost exactly.
Sweet. Thank you guys for all of this info. I was going nuts trying to figure this out. You guys rock!

Scott...

Primary: Reaper's Mild
Secondary:
Kegged (aging):
Kegged (Drinking): DFH 120 Min IPA Clone, Hefe
Bottled: Cinnamon Vanilla Mead, 8-8-08 RIS, Devil May Cry, Westvleteren 12 clone, Very Berry Mead
On Deck: How Rye am I Saison, DFH 120 min clone

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Great information. I love discovering new ways to use BeerSmith. I am bookmarking your tip. I wonder what the definitive answer really is. I know Brad at BeerSmith threw down the gauntlet to Jamil about this issue, but I can't find a Mr Malty response.
I would also like some sort of answer as I rely pretty heavily on BS for quite a few things. I like the idea of averaging the two, but often that puts you right in between 1 packet of yeast or 2. At least with a limit of a 2L flask. At $6.50 each I would like to only have to go with one if I could.

Scott...

Secondary:
Kegged (aging):
Bottled: Cinnamon Vanilla Mead, 8-8-08 RIS, Devil May Cry, Westvleteren 12 clone, Very Berry Mead

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Great information. I love discovering new ways to use BeerSmith. I am bookmarking your tip. I wonder what the definitive answer really is. I know Brad at BeerSmith threw down the gauntlet to Jamil about this issue, but I can't find a MrMalty response.
I'm not really sure there is a right or a wrong answer here... Jamil's calculator is a little more conservative whereas Beersmith is slightly less so. The only answer to know for sure is to do a cell count and figure out what the growth rate is on your equipment, and even then it will likely vary from strain to strain. For what its worth, I do have a scope and in my case Jamil's calc is quite conservative compared to the numbers I am seeing.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Not having a scope or counting grid, I can only go by what I see in the flask or mason jar. I know the volume of a White lab vial and think ...OK that's a 100 billion cells...I measure that amount and double the amount then triple ... etc. and observe how much volume it is in either a flask or mason jar.. So I have what I think should be the yeast level of say 500 billion cells. In order to get that amount of real yeast I think BS is more accurate.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I started brewing this morning and my BS was acting up so I closed it and re-opened. When I went back in to the yeast starter to change it to two packs instead of one I noticed the yeast viability had changed to 82% instead of 96% it had in there yesterday. Crazy Sh!%. Either way, if I use BS to calculate my starter, two packs at 2L gives me way more than I need, at 82% or 96%. Live and learn. Whats another $6.50

Scott...

Secondary:
Kegged (aging):

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Hi,
I did change the "stir plate" calculations in the newest version (beta) which is available here:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6820.0.html

I agree they were too aggressive (it applied the stir plate growth factor to the entire yeast sample instead of just the "growth" portion) for the last version.

Brad

Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
Rossiyma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSmith View Post
Hi,
I did change the "stir plate" calculations in the newest version (beta) which is available here:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6820.0.html

I agree they were too aggressive (it applied the stir plate growth factor to the entire yeast sample instead of just the "growth" portion) for the last version.

Brad
Brad-

What did you change? I downloaded the update and am not sure of a difference. I am doing a beer this weekend that needs 950bil cells and will be stepping up my starter. Did you change the growth factor with a stir plate? Mine still says 2.66.

Jared

Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #29
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Jared,
I changed the internal application of that factor - before it was applying it to the whole yeast count, while now it is applied only to the "growth" that occurs with your starter.

Brad

Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 193

How is viability determined? I imagine viability is highly dependent on the very specific circumstances that pack of yeast has gone through. If one shipped via ground from the West Coast to the East in August, then sat in a storage room for days before being placed in a fridge, only to be purchased by someone on their lunch break who left the pack in their glove box, well they are going to have fewer cells than a guy who lives up the street from Wyeast who picked up his pack the day after it was packaged and put it right into his fridge within minutes of purchase. Even if they both use the yeast the same number of days after packaging one guy will have less. That throws all the rest of the numbers off.

Quick Reply