Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The most out of your smack Pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default The most out of your smack Pack

A few days ago I brewed a Wheat, a Barvarian Wheat grain bill and pitched American 1056 call me crazy.

After I poured in my smack pack into the wort and put the beer up to ferment, I made half a quart of starter wort at 1.035 boiled and cooled.

I poured the cool wort into the smack pack shook it around a bit and poured this into my flask. I now have a nice layer of yeast to make a starter for another batch.

If there are still good viable cells in the smack pack why throw them away? This does take a little more time I guess and if your sanitation is not the best I guess you run the risk of contamination. Also in a few days I will have a nice cake on this wheat beer, I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess it makes sense that there are enough cells clinging to the walls of the packet to make a viable starter. It would just take longer to grow up to 200 billion cells (or whatever your target is).

So now what do you plan to do with your second starter?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ale View Post
A few days ago I brewed a Wheat, a Barvarian Wheat grain bill and pitched American 1056 call me crazy.

After I poured in my smack pack into the wort and put the beer up to ferment, I made half a quart of starter wort at 1.035 boiled and cooled.

I poured the cool wort into the smack pack shook it around a bit and poured this into my flask. I now have a nice layer of yeast to make a starter for another batch.

If there are still good viable cells in the smack pack why throw them away? This does take a little more time I guess and if your sanitation is not the best I guess you run the risk of contamination. Also in a few days I will have a nice cake on this wheat beer, I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it.
Haha, I do the same exact thing dude! I also get my inoculation loops and inoculate my blank yeast slants to add to my library.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why not just wash the yeast after fermentation. You can get about 40 free batches of yeast and if you really want to an Unlimited amount

Do a yeast washing search. It's easy.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply