New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Which is more important? Cooling the Wort or Pitching yeast early?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
IFlyEm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which is more important? Cooling the Wort or Pitching yeast early?

I do not have a wort chiller, I suck I know, so Im trying to cool as fast as possible to get the wort below 80 degrees so I can pitch my yeast. It has now been over an hour and I am still at 100 degrees. Is it more important to wait to get below 80 degrees, or should I pitch the yeast now, seal the bucket and take it down to my basement?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
mcwilcr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Definitely wait! As long as your sanitation is good you can wait days before pitching but if you pitch too high you will kill the yeast. Some yeasts can handle higher temp than others but you will be fine waiting until your temp is lower.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
stpug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Get below 80. In fact, get to 70 if you can. IMO, given good cleanliness and a good lid, you can take several hours to get to your pitching temp (afterall, the yeast will have a many-hour lag phase anyway). The single biggest drawback to slow cools are any late addition hops that went in to the boil kettle, otherwise a slow cool if fine as long as you keep the wort covered so stuff doesn't get in.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
IFlyEm
Recipes 

Thank you! I sanitized the heck out of everything, so Im not worried there. I just hear all the horror stories about cooling as fast as possible because bacteria starts to grow and will ruin your beer...then they try selling you an expensive wort chiller. I am going to buy one eventually...just not yet. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Did you ice bath it? I pitched my first too early and I would definitely wait to at least below 80.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't pitch until the following day. I let the wort sit on the counter overnight (covered, sanitized, etc) so that there is never a temp issue.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Definitely get the temp down to at least 70F before you pitch the yeast, preferably lower. If your chilling method sucks, you should check out "No Chill" brewing.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I have a double sink in my kitchen with the divider in the middle lower than the rim of the sink.. I sit the covered Wort in the one side and let the water (~50-60 degree) fill that side slowly and just over flow into the other sink.

Then I:

Stir the wort every few minutes.. and usually its dropped to about 70 within a hour.

I pull the pot out of the water bath

Put the fermentor in the sink and transfer the wort (using a stainless steel colander and dumping as it gets filled, then fill with water to the proper OG.. at that point its close to 65 degrees..

Pitch the yeast

Put the top on and the vent

Then put the fermenter in the garage.

I have to say the little 6.5 Gallon fermenter I have is cool.. I haven't seen the like of it anywhere.. I was told it was from an older Mr. Brew or maybe Mr. Beer kit. It's in my avatar. I can't find any info on it anywhere online, no pictures, nothing. Anyone know where it came from..? It was given to me by a friend.

Anyway, I like it as it fits nicely into my kitchen sink and no where near as cumbersome as a carboy, and yet better than a bucket as I can see through it, etc..

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Your fine. Relax. Have a home brew.
Get to 70 degrees or lower.
Once you pitch the yeast, and the yeast start chugging along, the yeast are going to increase the temperature of your wort, about 5 - 8 degrees.
Get a tub, even your bath room tub, carefully place your wort in there and add ice.

65 degrees or lower is when I pitch. temperatures above 75 degrees produce banana beer.

Tap #1: There and Back Again IPA
Tap #2: Wheat Ale
Tap #3: Northfarthing Pale Ale
"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 47

As long as your kettle is covered no worries about it taking longer. Yes, bacteria can be a problem but they first have to get in and if you have your kettle covered by a sanitized lid that is taken care of--everything on the inside was killed by the boiling. Though I haven't done no chill, I have friends who do. They put the boiled wort into a plastic cube container that has been sanitized and they seal it up. They let it sit overnight to cool to ambient temps then they aerate and pitch. Your yeast don't know anything about the temps, the time or the danger of bacteria. If they get in too hot of wort they die. So the question is better phrased, "Do I wait for my wort to cool to where my yeast will survive to make beer, or do I go ahead and kill them now?"

Quick Reply