Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > More Esters, Less Fusels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
You might try replacing the beet sugar with glucose/dextrose. It has been shown that when glucose is added, the yeast will produce more esters, than when other sugars are used.
interesting, I knew sugars increased it, but I never thought of some producing more than others. I woulda thought sucrose would give more since its more complex tho. never understood why sugar would either way, any idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

beet sugar (sucrose) is a di-saccharide composed of a glucose and a fructose. The yeast have to break this bond before they can utilize them. The extra step could make a difference, sending the products down different pathways than if they just imported the glucose

I have one paper that says the reason is unclear, with one possibility being that more glucose somehow leads to more Acetyl CoA for ester production, and a second possibility being that more fusel alcohols are produced with glucose, and these are then used to make esters.

Article here - download the pdf

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks for the info. I was just reading something Kai wrote about it and it sounds like the reason is due to a delayed switch in primary food source of glucose to maltose, which stresses the yeast. maybe thats why belgians add some sugar late?

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Experiment_Pitching_Rate_and_Oxyge nation

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 178

From what I've read the Belgians typically add beet sugar or beet sugar derived syrups directly to the kettle.

How about trying to pitch at a lower starting temperature, say 65-67F, let it rise to 70F, hold there until fermentation is 3/4 done, then gradually rise to 75-80F to get the yeast to attenuate and clean up.

Quick Reply