*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Moose Drool yeast alternative

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Moose Drool yeast alternative

I am looking at doing a Moose Drool clone next. The recipe calls for white labs 002 English; which I have some washed. I also have a new tube of British yeast 05, as well as a new wyeast 1469 yorkshire.

What are your thoughts on which to use? Both new ones are getting passed their prime time, so would like to use them soon. If I don't use them for this, what other recipes would you recommend for these two?

Gracias.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
nulfis
Recipes 

I brewed my same Brown Ale recipe with White Labs' English, British, and Burton Ale yeast strains earlier this year. For something like a Moose Drool clone, I'd probably stick with English Ale, as it's the most neutral of the 3 I tried, leaving plenty of room for the malt to come through. (It's also a bulletproof yeast that never fails to take off for me.) The other 2 gave off a lot of esters and a bit of diacetyl, which is expected for a northern brown recipe like I was brewing, but I've never really noticed in Moose Drool, which seems to be more an american style brown vs. an english. They did add a nice complexity the English strain lacked though.

If I had to rank the 3 by my favorite, I'd go Burton, English, and then British Ale. Haven't had a chance to try Wyeast's yorkshire yet, so I can't comment there.

Last edited by nulfis; 03-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've used both WLP001, and WLP007... both Fantastic. I like the Attenuation and performance better on those; I just mash two degrees higher at 156 though

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

personally i'd go with the british ale (1098?) for that brew, it's a nice, clean English strain. the 002/1968 is a very nice yeast, but as another poster said, a bit ester-y and can kick some diacetyl, neither of which i get from MD. the 05's never a bad choice for an American brew, but it may dry the beer out a bit more than you'd want in an MD clone.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
lou2row

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've only ever had one Moose Drool before, so no recollection of the taste. And only used the 002 once and the others never, so glad for all the information. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply