Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Monster IPA OG/FG question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
schristian619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would let it ferment for another week or two before worrying. If you are still not at your desired FG, I've had success with pitching a starter of WLP099. It'll eat any of the fermentable sugars left. If the notty is working, then you should be good. I've never had success with adding dry yeast in these situations but YMMV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBomz View Post
Let's agree to disagree
The Nottingham looks like it is doing its job. I was gonna throw in pack of champagne yeast instead, but was not sure how it would interfere with the beer's profile. Nottingham is fairly neutral, only downfall is that it doesn't have a high alcohol tolerance.
Agreed. Wasn't meant to be a knock at you .

I also think bierandbikes is correct in trying out US-05. I use it quite a bit and is very alcohol tolerant while still being very clean and neutral.

I've heard people using US-05 for beers at 20+%

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
BitterBomz
Recipes 

Yes, luckily my LHBS was open for a few hours today. He gave me a vial of wlp099 as a Christmas present I'm just gonna wait at least another week. If its still above 1.020, ill let the beast yeast finish the job.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So you didn't rehydrate the Notty, assuring you destroyed 1/2 the viable cells instantly. The other half won't have much hope in such an alcoholic environment (10%+). That was clearly a waste.

As mentioned, you also underpitched by a large margin to begin with. I would guess this will crap out around 1.040 if you're lucky. Best bet at this point is to get a big starter of WLP099 going and pitch it at high krausen.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #15
BitterBomz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star
So you didn't rehydrate the Notty, assuring you destroyed 1/2 the viable cells instantly. The other half won't have much hope in such an alcoholic environment (10%+). That was clearly a waste.

As mentioned, you also underpitched by a large margin to begin with. I would guess this will crap out around 1.040 if you're lucky. Best bet at this point is to get a big starter of WLP099 going and pitch it at high krausen.
I did rehydrate actually, as I usually do when using dry yeast as a remedial. But thanks for your negative input, macho man

Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBomz
Dry pitched a sachet of Nottingham a few minutes ago.
Sounds contradictory to me. Good luck with your 15% "IPA".

Quick Reply