Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Minimum yeast starter for harvested yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
chuckda4th
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Minimum yeast starter for harvested yeast

Weekend plans changed, so I'm pondering brewing tomorrow now. Normally I'd have done a starter with some harvested yeast Weds or Thursday night.

I've seen some posts that one can get away with a yeast starter running for only 24 hours if it is shaken often. Would this change at all if I were to do it with harvested yeast?

I'm assuming no...just looking to see if anyone had first-hand experience.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

How long has the harvested yeast been refrigerated? Was it a whole cake or split?

I used to warm up my slurries during brew-day and just pitch them. Never had any issues, even with 3month old cakes. Of course, I'd still recommend making a 24hr. starter. Just to wake it up. Be prepared for some krausen in the starter. Cakes are vigorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
chuckda4th
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Divided a cake into thirds in mason jars kept in the fridge. One batch is about a month old (since harvest), other batch is about 2 months old. Both are second generation - I don't brew often enough to risk going deeper.

I agree with the statement about harvested top-cropping yeast in a starter - I have a 2000mL flask and do ~800mLs for the starter and it almost overflowed last time about 18 hours in. Then when it went into the beer and made quite a mess on top of the primary. Definitely have to use a blowoff the next time I use that strain.

I was thinking the same thing you said - pitching it straight in would probably even work, and there's really no reason even a 24 hour starter would hurt anything. Would at least get the yeast a little amped up for their party.

Thanks for your experience!

Quick Reply