Minimum Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEversole

Reaction score
What is the minimum temperature that fermentation can take place at? Does it make any difference to be closer or further away from this temperature?

I've taken 05 down to 57-58 before and really liked the results, I'm sure it'd ferment at cooler temps but never tried it. Usually for ale yeasts, you want to keep it over 60.
Outta curiosity, do you think you have it too cold?

It will tell you how cold is too cold, on the yeast packet. Below that temp and the yeast go dormant. If they're alseep just like us, then they won't be able to work.

Good point, but like a dummy I threw out the package before reading that (I always get ahead of myself). Yeah I think I have it too cold. I came across an old fridge, thought it would be a good wort chiller, so I dialed it down a bit. I just haven't seen any activity in my wort (airlock), this makes me think its dormant as a result of the temp being too low.

airlock activity or lack of only means the airlock is or isn't bubbling. It's not a fermentation gauge, a HYDROMETER is a fermentation gauge. If you have concerns, take a grav reading.

And I bet you can find the fermentation temp range of US-o5 by googling. or Looking on the fermentis website.

Fermentis recommends 59-75 degrees for us-05. I know it works like a champ in the high 50s, I use it at those temps for a lot of IIPA's. Still, I'd guess much below that 59 degree mark, and it may have a hard time kicking off.
Listen to Revvy, if you're unsure, take a reading. That's really the only way you'll know what's going on.

Don't forget, if it's cool, 1) the yeast is simply going to behave slower than if it were warm, & 2) Gas expansion is less, which is why airlocks wouldn't NEED to bubble because there's not going to be an excess of expanding gasses.

Back