New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Milk Stout Kit Fermentation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
Nightstalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buckeye .. did you use the entire 5oz of priming sugar. I read that if you like to carb to style it should be around 3oz. So that is what I did. I am hoping I get enough carbonation ... Either way the sample was good flat so it wont be a total loss if it is somewhat lightly carbed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
thd2146
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
I read that if you like to carb to style it should be around 3oz.
Not sure about those numbers. I've got the same Brewer's Best kit in secondary right now, so I'll be bottling it soon. Beer smith and every other resource I've found say it should be between 4.1 and 4.4 oz of priming sugar for a 5 - 5.2 gal batch to get to the 2.3-2.4 vols of CO2 that BJCP style guidelines and other books recommend.

Using only 3oz for a 5 gal bottling batch will result in only 1.9 vols.

Of course, everything's to taste, but I'm trying to achieve something that my friends and I will recognize based on other popular sweet stouts.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketmaker View Post
Sounds like the yeast is slowing down due to the lower temps. My recommendation is to keep it in the primary, and move it to a warmer location (68 - 72 degrees) you might even jostle it a bit to get some yeast back in suspension... but warming it should re-activate the yeast and finish off just fine in a week or two. As for secondary... its a stout, no need to secondary it, just leave it in primary and check the gravity ever 2 - 3 days till you reach your target FG and then bottle. Good luck!
I have the same issue with the same kit. I was fermenting in the mid to low 60's and checked it yesterday after 3 weeks, at 1.030. I brought the temp in my ferm chamber (deep freeze with a controller) to 70 and jostled the bucket.

Question is would it be good to sanitize my stirrer and dig into the yeast cake to really mix it up? Not vigorously to oxygenate it (not desired at this point right) but to physically dig the yeast cake off the bottom?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Well I checked the gravity yesterday after a week of 70 degrees and its gone down to about 1.028 but still not in range. This milk stout is already sweet so I really want it to finish fermenting as much as possible. I decided to repitch so yesterday I sprinkled a pack of S-05 I had. Anyone care to comment on if this was a good or bad idea and what the pros and cons of the effects will be?

On Deck:
Primary: Centennial Blonde, Petite Saison D'Ete, Weizenbier
Secondary:
Carbing/Conditioning/Lagering: caramel apple cider
On tap: Cottage House Saison, Oaked English Mild, London Porter
Bottled: Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Trench Pale Ale, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Quick Reply