Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Milk Stout Kit Fermentation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
shadows69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Milk Stout Kit Fermentation problem

This is from a kit. I know i am still a newbie but this kit I did before my first all grain brew.
Anyway the problem I have is my starting OG was 1.055 and my FG should be between 1.020-1.024.
Mine is stuck at 1.030 I have tested on Sunday and Today still no change. I want to rack it to a secondary carboy.
Should I wait a couple more days or rack it?
It's been 10 days as of today.
Temp of the brew is between 63 - 64F as of now.
Will the FG come down some if I rack it to a secondary?
The kit instructions says to rack it to a secondary before it completes. Those kit instructions I know there not what they claim to be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
sprocketmaker
Recipes 

Sounds like the yeast is slowing down due to the lower temps. My recommendation is to keep it in the primary, and move it to a warmer location (68 - 72 degrees) you might even jostle it a bit to get some yeast back in suspension... but warming it should re-activate the yeast and finish off just fine in a week or two. As for secondary... its a stout, no need to secondary it, just leave it in primary and check the gravity ever 2 - 3 days till you reach your target FG and then bottle. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
shadows69
Recipes 

Will do thanks for the input

Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
rykosnd
Recipes 

Was this a Brewers Best Milk Stout kit? I have the exact same scenario! Started out @ 1.055 with temp @ 64 deg F. Went down to 1.030 within a week and stuck there. I moved primary to 68 deg room and added another pack of Nottingham dry yeast. Nothing. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm not sure what to do at this point?

Last edited by rykosnd; 02-24-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
rykosnd
Recipes 

I'm actually thinking of dumping a 2 qt slury of active yeast that I propagated from a bottle of Victory Helios Farmhouse Ale just for the hell of it.
Farmhouse Milk Stout anyone?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bring the beer to warmer temps. 68-70*, and then rouse the yeast back into suspension(swirling or rocking the fermenter). Worst case scearnio, pick up a $1.99 pack of nottingham, and pitch that in.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
andoniu83
Recipes 

Im having the same problem with a brewers best Oatmeal Stout kit. OG was 1.052, waited 10 days and im stuck at 1.030.

I transferred to secondary and added a package of coopers dry yeast, got no change in gravity. Then just for the hell of it, I added some dissolved granulated sugar to see if my yeast were still active and sure enough, they are due to the day and a half bubbling I got out of the airlock. I dont think I have enough yeast cells left to finish this fermentation, so I am gonna try a yeast nutrient and see if that does the trick. If not, I am bottling and turning my low gravity stout into a breakfast beer, it will be a 2.8 % ABV. Will probably go good with my morning capotain crunch berries...haha...keep me posted on how your is doing.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
shadows69
Recipes 

You are correct this Brewers Best Milk Stout kit. I checked mine today it only dropped to 1.028. I'm doing a milk oatmeal stout (all grain)as well which i just racked into a secondary (just to clear it up). So i thought i would add what's left of the milk oatmeal stout to the milk stout since the yeast is still active and will see if that is enough to lower it. If not i guess just bottle it. I'm going to let it go for another week see what happens. I think I had enough of kits, although I have one left, English bitter, Then it's all grain for me which seems to work very well for me. I keep ya updated.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My milk stout got stuck also (all grain). I would taste it before doing too much more. Mine is great right now with the extra sweetness left in and seems to have a nice heavy body, but still finishes quite clean. You might like what you have now better than drying it out more.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
shadows69
Recipes 

Mine does taste pretty good but still has bubbles so I am afraid to bottle it and make bombs. Not sure if you can bottle it when it has bubbles in the primary.

Quick Reply