The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Massive blowoff from starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
hunterlab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Massive blowoff from starter

Ok so this is what happened I made a 1 L starter with WL Irish ale. I cold crashed the 1 L after it was done and today I stepped it up to a 2L in a growler. Now I have a blowoff set up into a beaker and it's crazy the amount. Is this a common problem with healthy yeast in a starter? I also noticed most the krausen foam is yeast which I'm sure isn't a whole lot being waste. I'm brewing tomorrow and plan to pitch this then.

Primary:lambic x2
Primary:
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pumpkin ale,Irish Stout, Jet fuel Cider, Sweet Cider, vanilla bourbon porter, deception stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

You did a 2L starter in a growler? Isn't the size of a growler about 2L? Because there is your problem. If you've already done one starter, that yeast is active, healthy and ready to go. Plenty of people have had blowoffs used for starters.

I'd be concerned if too much was blowing off, because that is a lot of the nice healthy yeast you want to pitch. But as you said you should have plenty. An interesting note I picked up in Jamil's and White's Yeast book - if you kept using this yeast for a few generations, always in smaller containers with the top cropping yeast blowing off, you'd end up with the yeast that would naturally want to bottom crop / settle during fermentation. Not a bad thing, just an interesting note in the world of yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply