Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Making wort for my starter...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
dunnright00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Making wort for my starter...

So, I always have a problem with patience when it comes to pitching my yeast.

I finally got an immersion chiller, so that solves my problem for brew day, but when I make a starter (especially when I start it at 9pm) it takes too long for me, and last time I think I killed the yeast. Too hot!

So someone in the Tap Room (sorry I can't remember who) said he makes a couple of gallons of wort, and cans them in quarts or pints or whatever, saving them for when it's time to start a starter.

Brilliant!

So my questions are, since I don't have any canning/jars, is there any reason why I couldn't just bottle it in quart bottles? Then I can keep them in the fridge right? Or where would be best for storing them?

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

May I suggest going to WalMart (or what ever) and pick up some canning jars. This allows you to keep the wort sterile and sanitary for long term storage. No different than storing pasta sauce that you make at home - treat the products the same.
I make a morning out of it on a rainy weekend; make a large batch of starter wort, can it, and save it. Save hours in the long run when you want to make starters and really nice when stepping up the starter. A small investment now will be worth a lot of savings in the end.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can bypass all that and just buy some DME which you can store any way you like, and measure out whatever quantities you need, effortlessly, into whatever container you have on hand, whenever you decide it's time to make a starter.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentpirate View Post
May I suggest going to WalMart (or what ever) and pick up some canning jars. This allows you to keep the wort sterile and sanitary for long term storage. No different than storing pasta sauce that you make at home - treat the products the same.
I make a morning out of it on a rainy weekend; make a large batch of starter wort, can it, and save it. Save hours in the long run when you want to make starters and really nice when stepping up the starter. A small investment now will be worth a lot of savings in the end.
How is a sterile canning jar different than a sterile bottle with a sterile cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
You can bypass all that and just buy some DME which you can store any way you like, and measure out whatever quantities you need, effortlessly, into whatever container you have on hand, whenever you decide it's time to make a starter.
But don't you still have to boil the DME? The step I'm trying to bypass is waiting for it to cool. Just throw it in the fridge until I'm ready.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 09-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

No, you don't have to boil anything. You only have to boil if you are worried about bacteria in your beer.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How is a sterile canning jar different than a sterile bottle with a sterile cap?

I would guess the jars hold up to heat changes better.

Boiling wort ahead of time. That is another great idea. I see no reason it wouldn't work as long as everything was sanitized properly.

Quick Reply