Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > making a starter from a wyeast activator pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
TEarley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default making a starter from a wyeast activator pack

when making a starter do i smack the pack and let it swell up, then add to the dme wort? or not smack it and just pour the yeast in the dme wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Greenbasterd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

smacking just releases some nutrient.. it would work either way. and there enought goodness in your starter already. so it really doesn't matter

Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It really doesn't matter. And if you do, and wait several hours til the pack expands, in the same about of time your stater could have been churning away.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
TEarley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK I'm doing a Trappist and got the high gravity Trappist pack. I had it in the fridge for 2 months and smacked it Monday. The last two days I've had the pack double I size. Now its fully swelled. I plan to make it tomorrow along with a Belgian dubbel.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEarley View Post
OK I'm doing a Trappist and got the high gravity Trappist pack. I had it in the fridge for 2 months and smacked it Monday. The last two days I've had the pack double I size. Now its fully swelled. I plan to make it tomorrow along with a Belgian dubbel.
Wait a minute...you DO know that smacking the pack isn't the same as making a starter, right? Are you making a starter or brewing tomorrow?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
TEarley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Wait a minute...you DO know that smacking the pack isn't the same as making a starter, right? Are you making a starter or brewing tomorrow?

im brewing tomorrow, i know their nutrients in their thats why it swells, but i wasnt sure if it was the practice. i see videos of people cutting open their smack pack with out activating it. not sure why they would discard the pack of nutrient.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm still not sure if you are making a starter tomorrow, or just brewing your dubbel tomorrow. You should probably get a starter going today, using the swelled-up Wyeast pack. It will help propagate the yeast from the smack-pak so you'll have an adequate volume to pitch in to the dubbel. If you just pitch the Wyeast pack into the dubbel, you may be underpitching by a bit. It won't be the end of the world, though.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEarley View Post
im brewing tomorrow, i know their nutrients in their thats why it swells, but i wasnt sure if it was the practice. i see videos of people cutting open their smack pack with out activating it. not sure why they would discard the pack of nutrient.
You need to make a starter for the beer you're brewing. Just opening the pack and pitching it isn't gonna cut it. See ww.mrmalty.com for details. Remember, if your yeast isn't ready you're no more ready to brew than if you didn't have malt or hops. If I was you, I'd put off brewing til next week.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

^^ +1. I would listen to someone who has a yeast named after him!

We see a lot of threads about "Is my fermentation stuck?" or "Why did it finish so high?"; and I speak from bitter experience on this. It is very hard to fix a stuck fermentation, but it's not that hard to make a good sized starter, and oxygenate well.

Cheers!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

+1 to Denny and Frazier-spot on, a swollen pack is NOT a starter and you are under pitching and you need to
Make a starter!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply