Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Making starter wort, then adding yeast the next day. Doomed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Making starter wort, then adding yeast the next day. Doomed?

I'm planning to brew tomorrow (Sat) and wanted to make a 1200ml starter from a 1272 smack pack when I got home from work today. However the Mrs informed me last night that we have company coming over and my brewing antics will not be welcome in the kitchen.

So after some drunken thinking last night I decided to go ahead and boil up the wort needed for the starter in 2L flask then cover it with aluminum foil before turning off the heat and letting it sit. No ice bath needed since I wasn't in a hurry to pitch. My plan is to pitch the yeast into the starter when I get home tonight, which will give it 18-24 hours before I'll need to pitch into a Two Hearted clone.

Am I flirting with disaster? Should I skip the starter and pitch just the smack pack (estimated OG for this beer is 1.064). I've used just one pack in a similar OG beer without any noticeable issues, but I really wanted to get a starter going for this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
keg2881
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You sir are a smart man for making a starter for the two hearted clone, I didn't and now I am having to go back and pitch more yeast. Take it from me you want a starter.

When its warm it taste's real crappy, but cold beer will make me happy. When I throw up on the floor, I can go and drink some more. They say beer will make me dumb, it are go good with pizza.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

nothing wrong with your plan, i delay pitch all the time.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys, that's just the reassurance I needed

Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I very often do this as well, you will be just fine.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
aplus01
Recipes 

What recipe are you doing?

I'm planning to try and harvest some Bell's yeast this weekend but haven't got a good partial mash Two Hearted Ale recipe to brew it with yet. Just itching to try my hand at yeast harvesting mostly.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplus01 View Post
What recipe are you doing?
I'm going off this one - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/, with some slight changes to the hop schedule to account for a FWH. Should end up around 60 IBUs. I read most of that thread, but can't remember if there is a PM conversion in there...should be easy enough tho.

I also considered harvesting yeast from oberon or the oarsmen, but hadn't used 1272 yet and wanted to give it a shot.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
aplus01
Recipes 

@BrewPhish How'd your brew day go?

I spent Friday evening harvesting some Bell's yeast. Got 5 bottles worth in 1L of wort right now. Think I could have gone w/ less wort for such a small amount of yeast. Haven't seen any airlock activity but can see a lot of yeasties in the growler. Will definitely use a clear growler next time the brown type make it tough to see the action.

Hope to put those yeast to work soon.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Brewphish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brew day was great, had a buddy over to help and the only glitch was forgetting the irish moss...no biggie. We did slightly better than my usual 75% efficiency and ended up with an OG of 1.066, pretty happy about that and glad I had the starter.

I added my yeast to the starter Friday around 4pm, and pitched the whole thing about 24 hours later, looked and smelled good to me. Airlock was bubbling after about 8 hours and has pretty much stopped now. Going to let this one go for 3 weeks, then dry hop for a week or two.

Let me know how the harvested yeasties work out for you.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
aplus01
Recipes 

The sleeper has awoken! (Geek points to anyone who can name that book/movie)

Got some visible yeast activity. Airlock started bubbling just in time to keep me from messing w/ my starter. Almost cracked it open to check its gravity.

Did you go with the hop additions outlined in the recipe in the first post? A total of 5oz if I recall correctly.

I just ordered the Dead Ringer kit from Northern Brewer. That kit worked out to be cheaper than buying ingredients individually though the grain bill differs from the recipe you used. I also got some whirlfloc tablets too. That will be my first attempt at clearing up my brew. Should arrive in time to brew this weekend if I can find the time.

Think I should decant and do another starter once the 1L finishes up? Or would 1L be sufficient for a 5 gallon batch? Who knows how many yeast I've got since this was a bottle harvest.

Will be interested in comparing tasting notes w/ you once we've both got something to sample.

Quick Reply