Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Making A Starter with Boiled Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default Making A Starter with Boiled Wort

Hey guys, I've neer done a starter before and I wanted to do it with the batch currently in my boil kettle, BUT I completely forgot to do it. Can I take my Boiled Wort WITH hops in it, make a starter with it, and then add it to the wort tomorrow? I have yet to have any problems with fermentation without a starter yet but if I can do this I will do it. I have 30 mins left in the boil HELP!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yes, yes you can!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredben View Post
Yes, yes you can!
Now can I use say a pack of dried yeast for the starter and then my nice good Wyeast Irish Ale pack for my main batch??? As well, how much should I use for a starter? 1L??? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Why would you use a starter for dry yeast? There are enough cells in a packet of dry yeast to do the job already. You could do this with your Irish Ale, but which pack are you using? The Activator packs are also all ready to ferment the whole batch. You will only need a starter if you bought a Propogator pack, in which case I would cool that starter liquid as fast as possible, add the yeast once the starter is below 90F, and then add the whole starter to the main batch tommorrow.

As to how big of a starter, try this: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have a standard pack of Irish Ale Activator. 100 billion yeast cells. No need for a starter?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyjim View Post
I have a standard pack of Irish Ale Activator. 100 billion yeast cells. No need for a starter?
I would make a starter. It's a good habit to get into. Like it was already said, use Mr. Malty.
Not knowing your OG, even if it's 50, Mr. Malty says you need 175 billion cells, almost two packs(1.8). I am inputting this using today's date with the yeast and assuming your yeast is a couple of weeks old that would mean you would need even more than 1.8 packs.
Another reason for a starter is just to know its viable. I make a starter for all liquid and washed yeast no matter how low the starting gravity is.
If you are a relatively new brewer, its better to have good brewing habits instead of trying to cut corners.IMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
MikeSteele
Recipes 

Starters do more than just multiply cells. The yeast cells have become active and have already created the necessary enzymes to break down malt. There will be no lag time for fermentation if you pitch with an active starter. It ensures a thorough and rapid fermentation, and gives any wild yeast in the wort very little time to create off flavors.

I wouldn't create a starter in this situation, and just pitch the yeast. 24 hours runs the risk of wild yeast consuming some of your fermentables. It isn't likely, but what you'll get out of the starter isn't worth the risk of contamination.

Quick Reply