making or "growing and harvesting" my own yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlfindley74

Reaction score
I've heard and read a bit about using the yeast that settles in primary as future yeast to pitch into other brews. Whats the basics/good source for introductory level info on this?

I maintain a yeast bank for two brewers that doesn't require the effort of washing/rinsing. Works like this.
Buy liquid yeast vial/smackpack.
Propagate it with a 2L stirred starter. Costs about 8oz dme and a little propane.
Separate into 3 mason jars.
Keep one sample in reserve and treat 2 samples as initial vials/smackpacks.

Make starters for each 5 gallon batch with the 2 samples.
2L for ale. 2x 2L for lager.

After 2 batches, start over with the reserve.

IMO, it costs a little more than washing but takes less time and effort. No boiling and storing water. I clean the mason jars and soak in starsan and have never had sanitation issues.

ymmv

raouliii said:
I maintain a yeast bank for two brewers that doesn't require the effort of washing/rinsing. Works like this.
Buy liquid yeast vial/smackpack.
Propagate it with a 2L stirred starter. Costs about 8oz dme and a little propane.
Separate into 3 mason jars.
Keep one sample in reserve and treat 2 samples as initial vials/smackpacks.

Make starters for each 5 gallon batch with the 2 samples.
2L for ale. 2x 2L for lager.

After 2 batches, start over with the reserve.

IMO, it costs a little more than washing but takes less time and effort. No boiling and storing water. I clean the mason jars and soak in starsan and have never had sanitation issues.

ymmv

I like this concept a lot! How many times can a person do this? Is it like washing where you can go only so many generations?

How about this, take new yeast, make a big starter, freeze yeast with glycerin. It's all first generation yeast, waiting to be used in the freezer. The hard part is their are so many ways to do this you have to pick the best one you think will work? My first ten vials are in the freezer now.

Back