Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Maintaining Yeast Strains Long Term

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
LeverTime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Maintaining Yeast Strains Long Term

I want to start washing yeast. I been reading about it for a couple of days, and many people seem to say that you can re-use yeast for around 10-15 generations. I'm curious how professional breweries maintain their strains of yeast, since I'm sure most of them have gone through many more generations than this. Are they operating with such a huge amount of yeast in storage, that the generation issue never crops up? Or do they take advantage of equipment / technology unavailable to the homebrewer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The larger breweries would be using slants, and would propagate their yeast from those. Smaller ones may periodically purchase new batches of yeast. When I was brewing at a brewpub, I used several different strains, depending on the beer, so I was always buying yeast. I'd buy them at my LHBS, brew a 5 gallon batch, which, when pitched at high kraeusen, would produce a vigorous fermentation for a 15 bbl batch.

Primary: Empty :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Pumpkin Saison, Amber Ale
Planned: Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think a lot of breweries will save older generations of yeast and propagate from that older generation after they get too many generations in and the yeast begin to change/mutate. Once they start to drift away from the original yeast characteristics, they go back to that original yeast culture, take a small amount, propagate that to a larger amount, and start over with their 1st generation (or 2nd or 3rd or whatever it is) instead of harvesting from later generations.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/...-approach.html

Cheers!
WhiteDog87 Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Likes Given: 50

I have a question about the link posted above. I came across this info for harvesting yeast from starters the other week and cant wait to give it a try. My one question being, is the last step really necessary? Why would the yeast need to be transferred from a jar filled with starter wort and yeast to a jar with just water? Does that really effect the shelf-life of the yeast, and if so, by how much? Would love to omit the last step if possible but dont mind doing it if need be. I cant wait to start my own yeast bank!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben
I have a question about the link posted above. I came across this info for harvesting yeast from starters the other week and cant wait to give it a try. My one question being, is the last step really necessary? Why would the yeast need to be transferred from a jar filled with starter wort and yeast to a jar with just water? Does that really effect the shelf-life of the yeast, and if so, by how much? Would love to omit the last step if possible but dont mind doing it if need be. I cant wait to start my own yeast bank!
For longer term storage (2+ weeks), it is best to keep your yeast in deoxygenated water rather than fermented beer.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Thanks for posting this, very useful! I have been doing the yeast washing thing for a while now and it has been working but is a pain in the butt. And having lots of very clean yeast with this way is way better any ways!

Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87

Thanks for posting this, very useful! I have been doing the yeast washing thing for a while now and it has been working but is a pain in the butt. And having lots of very clean yeast with this way is way better any ways!

Thanks again!
My pleasure!

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Quick Reply