The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Maintaining a house yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
JesperP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Maintaining a house yeast

Hi everybody

I am doing a lot of small batches of about 5 liters and to avoid buying a vial of yeast every time i would like to try and maintain a house yeast.

My thought is to make a small starter each time and simply take a portion of the fully fermented starter slurry to save for the next brew, much like maintaining a sourdough.

I read that the strains can drift, but how long can i keep on doing a procedure like this. Do you guys have any experiences?

BR Jesper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

if you are very clean you can go on for a long time. just be aware that you run the danger of propagating on any wild yeast or bacteria you pick up on the way. as soon as things start getting weird, like super cloudy beer, extra dry watery beer, dusty/overattenuative yeast, bad/low attenuation, any off flavors, bag that yeast and start fresh.
i assume you mean taking slurry from the previous batch, as for consecutive 5L batches you won't be making a starter each time

Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
JesperP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i assume you mean taking slurry from the previous batch, as for consecutive 5L batches you won't be making a starter each time
Part of the reason for the starter, was so that i could take part of it to keep for the house yeast. That way i would not stress it with any high gravity beers that i´d might do.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Ticebain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jesper. I am in the middle of starting up the same thing. I make a starter. Save half and make an additional starter with the other half. That goes in the beer. That way I always have first gen yeast to work with and I am not using the sludge at the bottom of a batch

Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
JesperP
Recipes 

That sounds awesome, but is it necessary with the second step?

I will try to go with just the single step. Let me know how it goes and I will do the same

Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

just to clarify, i assume you're pitching a vial or smack pack into a 5L beer, then reusing some of the slurry for the next beer, and so on? if this is the case you don't ever need to make a starter, as the pack is more than enough (unless ancient) for 5L of even a high gravity beer, and subsequent pitches come directly from the slurry. ?

Old 01-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
JesperP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
just to clarify, i assume you're pitching a vial or smack pack into a 5L beer, then reusing some of the slurry for the next beer, and so on? if this is the case you don't ever need to make a starter, as the pack is more than enough (unless ancient) for 5L of even a high gravity beer, and subsequent pitches come directly from the slurry. ?
The thing is that I want to brew quite a few 5 l batches of single hop ipa's using the same strain, but probably only one or two at a time. By making a small starter every time and save slurry from that I suspect I could keep the yeast cleaner and fresher. I'm scaling to 5 l by trying to calculate a proper pitching rate for the gravity and volume of the wort.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Zubius
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperP View Post
By making a small starter every time and save slurry from that I suspect I could keep the yeast cleaner and fresher.
That is correct, however, keep in mind that some strains will start to mutate after 6 - 8 generations and will start to produce off flavors.

With your first fresh, unused starter, make it double the normal size, decant and pour into 1/2 pint jars (usually 4) leaving enough to make your beer for the day. With those 4, you can make 4 more from each then 4 more from those and so on... Until you get to the 6 - 8th generation.. I think it comes out to about 4096 uses on the 6th gen.

1st gen - 4 1/2 pint jars
2nd gen - 16
3rd gen - 64
4th gen - 256
5th gen - 1024
6th gen - 4096

I use Platinum strains from White Labs (limited releases) so I make them last at least a year by doing this..

Quick Reply