Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Magic Bean Thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
MrNatural
The Original, beware of imposters.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Magic Bean Thread?

Left the building?

I come awake........with the gift for womankind.
You're still asleep.......but the gift don't seem to mind.
~Ian Dury

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Mods shut the big one down awhile ago...then another one popped up, and that one just disappeared as well. I was searching for the second one and it is totally nuked....not even ashes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
MrNatural
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks. Got early peek at the second one, and it seemed more coherent but overall pimping theme remained.

Only value in original was humor and traffic stats.

~Ian Dury

Old 04-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
ksut1547
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's back.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/exp...tation-403101/

Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
MrNatural
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksut1547 View Post
So it is, and with an avatar this time................

~Ian Dury

Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Somethings still rotten in the state of Denmark about the whole thing......I'll let the starry eyed wanderers and the cynical bastards duke it out in there, and if the product ever hits the marketplace THEN make a decision.

Methinks that they perhaps made a product for the production of ethanol, for fuel....and then, knowing little if anything about making alcohol that actually has FLAVOR in it, thought they'd branch out and see if there'd be any interest. Probably not even knowing anything about brewing, or how it actually will make anything tasty or not, or that there even ARE different strains used in brewing to produce different flavors of beer (or maybe that there even are different flavors of beer.)

And of course thinking this was a little rinky dink site, and maybe they'd get a handful of suckers, I mean Guinea Pigs, I mean product testers, to answer THEIR OWN QUESTIONS about the usability of this stuff for anything other than fuel, mentioned the word "Free." It started a feeding frenzy for freebies and a bombarding of technical questions, neither of which they were prepared to cope with......

So then they saw dollar signs, and threw in the kickstarter campaign as well to try to squeeze a few bucks from the starry eyed fools....Doesn't anyone remember that old saying, "you can't get something for nothing" anymore?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvy View Post
somethings still rotten in the state of denmark about the whole thing......i'll let the starry eyed wanderers and the cynical bastards duke it out in there, and if the product ever hits the marketplace then make a decision.

Methinks that they perhaps made a product for the production of ethanol, for fuel....and then, knowing little if anything about making alcohol that actually has flavor in it, thought they'd branch out and see if there'd be any interest. Probably not even knowing anything about brewing, or how it actually will make anything tasty or not, or that there even are different strains used in brewing to produce different flavors of beer (or maybe that there even are different flavors of beer.)
+1

Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3064 Times on 1927 Posts
Likes Given: 2602

Well, it's only a matter of time before someone here brews with it and posts results. I'll admit I wanted to. I brew a lot of split batches (all of them, really), so I was prepared to do a side-by-side test with a known recipe and yeast.

I'm guessing they have just trapped a bunch of off-the-shelf yeast in balls of some type of permeable material. We can opine on the pros and cons of this, but the only thing that matters now is how the beer is affected.

Assuming flavor is good, there might be some nice benefits in the process by using these beads. Yeast are very messy. Consider how much effort we make to remove yeast from the beer before we drink it. (I'm assuming a hefeweisen will be a problem with these beads.)

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
DerekJ

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think it is quite obvious that the OP doesn't really know much about brewing beer. However, he did mention that he had a brewery using the "magic beans". I'll admit that it smells fishy but I am going to reserve judgement until someone posts some results. I nominate passedpawn as our official HBT tester.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJ View Post
I think it is quite obvious that the OP doesn't really know much about brewing beer. However, he did mention that he had a brewery using the "magic beans". I'll admit that it smells fishy but I am going to reserve judgement until someone posts some results. I nominate passedpawn as our official HBT tester.
I also think that in the original thread there were two "voices" speaking on behalf of the company. I think the first one was an overzealous "pitchman" salesman type person, you know the type, a "yes" man. Who got in over his head, and started saying yes to everything without understanding, and making promises about free stuff, and brought up the kickstarter, and then later the developer, the scientist who identified himself, came in and took over, when it got out of hand. A little more level headed, and rational but the damage was done.

I agree Passedpawn should be the tester.

DerekJ Likes This 

Quick Reply