Made Starter too large what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdragon82

Reaction score
Last night I made a starter in hopes of a Sat brew. I plan on making a belgian blonde ale, all the LHBS had was WL Trappist Yeast and another I wasn't too sure about so I grabbed the trappist. I checked Mr. Malty earlier yesterday and swore it said make a 2L starter. When I just checked again it said 1.28L. I always make starters on every brew and they turn out great, I'm just afraid of over pitching. Any suggestions?

I'm estimating about 1.065~1.070 OG on the beer.

over pitching? you can do that?

some people pitch onto cakes from previous batches so thats kinda like a 5 gallons starter. you will only benefit from a larger starter on this scale.

The risks of overpitching are really over blown, it really take a huge amount more to actually cause problems. Just go ahead and pitch what you want, or jar what you don't want to use. But I would just go ahead and use what you got.

Yeah 2L will be fine. If your worried about it chill it down and dump some of the wort in the starter out.

Sorry, forgot to mention. Yes its on a stir plate. And I feel better now. I had a feeling everything would b ok but it is the first time I did this so I just wanted to make sure. So in goes all those lovely yeasties :) Thanks everyone!!!!

Back