Made a Starter but Brew Day is Delayed for One Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
I built up a starter to 2000ml over the week with the intention of brewing today (Sunday). However, due to some unforeseen issues I could not brew today and won't have the opportunity to do so until next Saturday or Sunday. What is the best way to handle my starter?

Some thoughts I have are:
Leave it on the stir plate with the foil loosely covering the top and the stir bar spinning.
Leave it in the flask and store in the fridge with the foil tightly sealed on the top.
Wash the yeast and store it in the fridge, then reactivate the yeast with some of the wort from the batch it's going into.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Just put a airlock on it or foil and shove it in the fridge. When brew day comes get it out in time for it to warm up in time to pitch. You can decant off the liquid and just leave enough to shake the yeasties free that way you don't have to pitch the whole 2L.

Just put a airlock on it or foil and shove it in the fridge. When brew day comes get it out in time for it to warm up in time to pitch. You can decant off the liquid and just leave enough to shake the yeasties free that way you don't have to pitch the whole 2L.

Thanks Eu! That's what I'll do!

I would do the same: fridge, decant and warm up. 4-5 days in the fridge isn't a long time, but I would add anyway a little starter to it (maybe 0,5L) after it warmed up, to let it accelerate eating again, especially if you are going to brew a beer with an OG of 1060+.

Cheers :)
Piteko

I'd pour off a quarter of it to begin another starter, then build the original back up. Of course, I've been brewing no less than two days per week and I guess not everyone has use for that amount of starter.

Back