Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lowest Temp Lager Strain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Caulerpa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lowest Temp Lager Strain

Hello! I hope your weekend went well!

I would like to brew a lager in my garage in the winter but the temperature is in the 30's (F). Even in the winter my house is too warm. Does anyone know of a yeast strain with really low temperature tolerance? If so, where could I get it from?

Thank you and have a wonderful week!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I don't think any yeasts ferment below 40. You could get a keg bucket and a fishtank heater for very little outlay, you'd have a fantastic fermentation control system in that cold garage this way.

You pretty much need to have some heater / temp control, you don't want to freeze your beer when lagering it, if it drops into the twenties or below this could occur.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
02fx4dude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I don't think any yeasts ferment below 40. You could get a keg bucket and a fishtank heater for very little outlay, you'd have a fantastic fermentation control system in that cold garage this way.

You pretty much need to have some heater / temp control, you don't want to freeze your beer when lagering it, if it drops into the twenties or below this could occur.
Only problem is most aquarium heater thermostats aren't made to operate below about 65F so he would probably need one of the digital controllers typically used for kegerators and ferm chanbers.

Quick Reply