Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Low pitching temp with 3522/550 (Achouffe strain)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
tonyolympia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default Low pitching temp with 3522/550 (Achouffe strain)

I brewed a 1.080 Tripel last week and pitched a large starter of Wyeast 3522, Belgian Ardennes. I chilled the wort a bit more than I had planned, so it spent the first 24 hours after pitching inching slowly from 60F up to 65F. After that, fermentation progressed according to plan, raising a degree each day.

It's been a strong fermentation, especially after a simple sugar addition on day 3, when kreusen bubbled through the airlock and I had to install a blowoff for a day. Currently the yeast are working away at 71F. I'm not worried about stuck fermentation or low attenuation.

I *am* a bit worried about the flavor profile, because of the low temp during the yeast's growth stage. I have read that low temps favor production of phenols with this yeast, to the point of harshness. I've also read the opposite--that cooler temps result in a "mild" Belgian character. I suppose the worst outcome, for me, would be a totally clean fermentation, with no Belgian character at all.

This is my first Belgian beer, other than a couple of Saisons I made with the DuPont strain. Is there anyone who has experience with Tripels and with the Achouffe strain in particular who can tell me what flavors I might expect from a fermentation profile that started five degrees below the yeast's recommended temperature range?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Dude, it'll be great. That's a pretty close-to-ideal fermentation schedule IMHO. I like starting them out in the low 60's b/c they stop ramping around 70, not 80.

You should have a nice balance of phenols and esters without some of the hot-temp fusels and hotness. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of yeast character.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
Dude, it'll be great. That's a pretty close-to-ideal fermentation schedule IMHO. I like starting them out in the low 60's b/c they stop ramping around 70, not 80.

You should have a nice balance of phenols and esters without some of the hot-temp fusels and hotness. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of yeast character.
Thanks much.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You did the best you could have done for your yeast. I have Triple in secondary right now (3 months) which I fermented with 3522 as well with identical schedule as yours. Dropped from 1.084 to 1.008 but I fed it sugar incrementally once fermentation was underway. Taste great, almost too clean, very little esters but 3522 known for that. I will be bottling soon with 3787 to give it extra dimension

Quick Reply