LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #21
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Because you are calculating original gravity the fermentability is not in the OG equation. If you want to calculate a new FG then you can use the 75%. (I pronably muddled that up with my last post) You will want to dissolve the malt in water so that it mixes with the wort better. It can take a long time to finish if the malt is not dissolved.

do not aerate at this point.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
mccartney
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

so if i add a pound of malt, im sure i would want to use a minimal amount of water to dissolve the malt in to minimize the modified OG. what would the minimum amount of water be for a pound or cup or whatever convenient measure of DME?
What about adding regular sugar. should i dissolve it in water before adding it to the already fermenting brew too or add it dry?
how would dissolving these fermentables affect the calculation of the modified OG not only because of the sugars, but the amount of water too?

Am i asking questions for the way advanced brewer and getting too ahead of myself? im not afraid of a complicated equation knowing all of the variables.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The maximum specific gravity of sucrose is about 1.400, but I forgot what that translates to as a ratio. Although that is hard to achieve. The down side to dumping the sugar in without dissolving it is the time it will take longer to ferment. The sugar will take a long time to go into solution mixed in with the yeast in the bottom of the fermenter. It might take several days to a week to go into solution, but if you are planning on fermenting for a very long time that might be acceptable.

Add the water to your batch volume and the amount of sugar to your OG calculations. For table sugar it would be 46 * (lbs added) / (batch size)

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #24
mccartney
Recipes 

thanks woodland, i know math questions can be hardest, i bet most homebrewers dont even worry about the math involved. what you explained makes sense to me, im glad my questions made sense to you.
tomorrow i brew a belgial trippel, i have a 4L starter about ready i did in 2 2L stages, the sediment at the bottom is an inch thick. its my first yeast starter.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
TTB
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default SG gravity of 1.050, now 1.030

deleted.

Last edited by TTB; 12-07-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: accidental post.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #26
mccartney
Recipes 

for everyone who helped me out with this thread, in case you want to know...
i was worried that the attenuation wasnt where it should be.
i put the brew into a secondary today on the 18th day since there was no more airlock activity. i had a starting gravity of 1.082, FG is 1.015. that is att of 81.7% and ABV of 8.7. not too bad.
but it is very cloudy. i have never had such a cloudy brew go into the secondary. is it because a week ago i shook the bucket while worrying about the low attenuation?
should a couple weeks in secondary fix that? i also have filtering equipment i could use after a couple weeks.

Quick Reply