Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Losing more yeast than we think when decanting a starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Losing more yeast than we think when decanting a starter

Every time I go to decant my starters, I can't help but think of how much of the "balance" of my grown up yeast is still trapped in suspension -- after all, unless the solution itself is more or less clear (like in washed yeast in mason jars kept in the fridge), doesn't that insinuate there's a significant balance of yeast still suspended in solution? I'm looking at a starter right now, and it only appears that I've got about 100ml of yeast cake on the bottom... shouldn't that look like more for 2.5b cells?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Scoggin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know what you mean by "balance" of the yeast..

They are microorganisms. And I don't think anyone could eye-out the amount of cells in billions.. Have you ever tasted the starter beer that you decant out? When you do, you'll understand why people don't want that in their beer. I'm sure some is still in solution, but the amount is insignificant compared to the yeast cake

Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordan
Every time I go to decant my starters, I can't help but think of how much of the "balance" of my grown up yeast is still trapped in suspension -- after all, unless the solution itself is more or less clear (like in washed yeast in mason jars kept in the fridge), doesn't that insinuate there's a significant balance of yeast still suspended in solution? I'm looking at a starter right now, and it only appears that I've got about 100ml of yeast cake on the bottom... shouldn't that look like more for 2.5b cells?
If it concerns you then cold crash longer so all the yeast drop out,

I use a flask and cold crash for 24 hours and when I decant I go til I see yeast moving and then use whatever is left to make the slurry to pitch

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I like to trick myself into thinking I am playing god, and am helping along natural selection by eliminating some of the less floculating organisms. That and I am usually too lazy to cold crash...

Actually come to think of it I am usually too lazy to decant at all.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
abt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd avoid forcing dormancy. If you want all of your yeast, let it ferment out in the starter for three or four days before chilling it to drop. "Crashing" is not something yeast like to do. Forcing them to go dormant before they finish taking up their reserves will make for a stressful start in the new wort.
If you want to see how much you're losing, just decant into another vessel and cold crash that. Assuming a small start (1-2L) I'd prefer to lose the starter beer's yeast over missing the window on the end of lag phase (~15-22 hours.) For lagers or big ales when I'm up to a 5L starter I definitely let that last step-up go for a few days then refrigerate. On brewday I let it warm, decant and add about 1L fresh, chilled, aerated wort, pitch a couple of hours later. Seems to work well.

Quick Reply