Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > loose/light/fluffy yeast cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
mikesalvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default loose/light/fluffy yeast cake?

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of 60 min. IPA clone yesterday. All went well, but I am a little bit worried about the appearence of my fermentation.

I made a starter using one pint of water, 5 tbsp xlight DME, and some ranched and washed 1187 yeast I've had in my fridge for about a month. I let the starter sit for 24 hours, and pitched it to my wort. This morning, about 15 hours after pitching, the carboy is showing normal signs of fermentation ( born looking kreusen curently about one bubble every 5 seconds or so) but the yeast cake is very loose and fluffy looking and there's are fluffy chunks of yeast floating in the carboy. I've personally never seen this before. I'm thinking the yeast may just not be very healthy and maybe I should pitch more if my FG isn't reached. Should I be worried that its something more drastic? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks, as always!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sounds pretty normal to me. The yeast just started to ferment so that's why they haven't dropped out since there's still fermentable sugars available for them to eat. In a week or two you'll start to see them flocc out more and make a tighter yeast cake.

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply