New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Looking for a nice fruity liquid yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
Have you tried Wyeast 2112? It's the "steam beer" yeast, a lager that ferments at ale temps. Ferment at room temperature, you will get very fruity results.
I have been working with an old West Coast lager strain that I dug out of a research-oriented culture collection. I have it fermenting at 15C/59F with zero sulfur production. Most brewing strains are polyploids that grow robustly on solid media. This strain is a confirmed diploid that is a pain in the backside to grow on solid media (I maintain all of my yeast stocks on solid wort).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Wlp644 is supposedly a fruit bomb. Its a Brett. Read up on several threads. When used for primary ferment with no aeration it appears to generate extreme fruit aromas. It's well suited for IPA and APA apparently.

TD
No experience using brett, but what is the importance of no aeration?

Fermenting: Kolsch #2, Brett Saison, Helles #3
Bottled: Josef's Helles 2, Black Heart Porter, Little Sparrow Saison, Rye Saison, Sculpture RIPA #4, Funk Kolsch
On the mind: Brett Drie Saison, Russian Imperial Saison (need to finish off some 3711)

Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Just to add to usage of Bells yeast & culturing. They use the same yeast in almost all of their beers (they have a wild strain and one other I think). I've harvested 3 times, and used Best Brown, Amber, and 2 Hearted. I then run off a 3-4 beer sequence from that initial triple stepped starter. It drops clear during cold crash, has controllable krausen and good attenuation even in high gravity beers (I've fermented a 1.102 RIS and a 1.114 Barley wine), and has a great flavor profile. I recently tried 3 beers using S-05 which everyone seems to rave about. I thought it was good, but I'm back to Bells for my house yeast strain even though I have to step the starters.

I have never fermented in the 70's with it. Mid 70's is too high I would venture, so I would not give up on it yet. It starts well in the 62-64F range. I either let it ferment to 65 at fermentation end for a clean profile, or ramp to 68-69 for that citrus fruitiness that seems to be present in 2 Hearted Ale.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 12-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #34
LLBeanJ

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I use Bells' yeast when I want that tart flavor it's known for. I pitch in the high 60s and ferment at 72-74 and it always comes out great.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #35
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Have you tried Wyeast 2112? It's the "steam beer" yeast, a lager that ferments at ale temps. Ferment at room temperature, you will get very fruity results. I use this all the time in pales and IPA's with big, citrusy hops like citra, simcoe, cascacde, mosaic, etc. I love this yeast. Doesn't floc the best, but no different than US-05.
That sounds really nice!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #36
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On that Wyeast 2112 cali common wouldnt anything past 68 degrees be stressing out the cells? I have always heard that stress is the worst thing for yeast? School me

Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 AM   #37
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had good luck with 1275 thames valley. The smell of that yeast on the stir plate is fabulous. Also the Conan yeast from heady topper is susposed to throw fruity esters.

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/09/culturing-conan-aka-alchemists-heady.html

Old 12-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #38
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

I've never thought of American Ale II as fruity, but I normally keep it at 62-63. I'll have to bump it up sometime. It's my go-to for most things.

Ringwood added a neat bit of fruity to a porter. Smells great too.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #39
dbrewski
This is my User Title

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn View Post
On that Wyeast 2112 cali common wouldnt anything past 68 degrees be stressing out the cells? I have always heard that stress is the worst thing for yeast? School me
Sorry, haven't checked in for a while. This yeast will not do anything funky even at 70F ambient temp. Having said that, I do ferment in the high sixties now that I have temp control. I think of it as US-05 with a citrus boost.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #40
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Sorry, haven't checked in for a while. This yeast will not do anything funky even at 70F ambient temp. Having said that, I do ferment in the high sixties now that I have temp control. I think of it as US-05 with a citrus boost.
It seems like 05 has an actual taste to it when fermented at room temperature. Anything under 70 makes it so plain jane i cannot stand it. That california common sounds really tasty if it is similar to 05 but with more esters. I would just have to keep it room temperature to get that though. Not so easy in the winter in mu basement. May have to look into a bucket heater of some sort.

Quick Reply