The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Looking for Complete Phenol and Ester Info

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
Get a copy of Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix. It has essentially everything a brewer would ever need to know about fermentation byproducts, including flavor thresholds and the metabolic pathways for the common ones.
This.

Even Fix's book only hits the most common ones, though. There are an immense number of possible flavor compounds in beer- to put this idea in perspective, consider that a vanilla bean gets its flavor from a combination of over 200 organic compounds.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickme23 View Post
"Brewing with wheat: The 'wit' and 'weizen' of world wheat beer styles"
by Stan Hieronymus

If that's the book and you've read it then I'm not going to bother researching it :P Hah
I have not read it. I just added it to my wish list on amazon the other day. If you've got the 411, spill! (seriously though, don't go out of your way)

Old 07-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
This.

Even Fix's book only hits the most common ones, though. There are an immense number of possible flavor compounds in beer- to put this idea in perspective, consider that a vanilla bean gets its flavor from a combination of over 200 organic compounds.
Yeah... I realize I am asking for more information than I could ever possibly do anything with, but I tend to get fanatical about something once I get into it.

Quick Reply