Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Look at my airlock- What (if anything) should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
LucaBrasi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Look at my airlock- What (if anything) should I do?

I'm hoping for advice on any steps I should take based on the condition of my airlock. I'm about 48 hours into fermentation. It started quick and airlock activity has been vigorous. But at this point it looks like the airlock is filled with mostly yeast and wort, rather than the sanitizing solution I put in there. All airlock activity has stopped at this point. Also of note is that the bucket lid is flexing way out. I'm not thrilled about the idea of trying to do anything if I don't need to.

All opionions appreciated.

airlock.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Stick one end of a wide piece of hose over the out tube of the airlock. Put the other end of the tube submerged in StarSan or similar product. It's a blowoff tube and will save your walls, furniture, clothes, carpet, dog, cat, wife, etc., from the volcanic wrath of a frenzied yeast god!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Take it off and install a blow off tube!

At least clean it out, sanitize then re-install. But, be prepared to repeat every hour for the next couple of days.

It sounds like the airlock is plugged. If the top is bulging you may have enough pressure to blow it off. If it does you will be washing your ceiling!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah blow off tube before you have your first blow out... if you are too late take pictures.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
LucaBrasi
Recipes 

I was afraid of that.- So when I take off the airlock, how do I avoid either having the bucket lid fly off, or a geyser of fermenting wort from exploding through the hole?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Don't take off the airlock. Just take off the lid and the cone/cap thing or whatever you call it. Leave the big piece in the grommet. Affix the tube to the top of the large piece and run it into a cup/jar/bottle of sanitizer.

And probably give everything a nice spritz of sanitizer. That's what I've always done in your situation and come out fine.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The lid won't fly off. As you slowly twist the airlock out, it will bleed off any pressure stored. Don't wear your white shirt just in case.

It shouldn't be that bad. As you bleed it off, you may get foam mixed with air.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
Don't take off the airlock. Just take off the lid and the cone/cap thing or whatever you call it. Leave the big piece in the grommet. Affix the tube to the top of the large piece and run it into a cup/jar/bottle of sanitizer.

And probably give everything a nice spritz of sanitizer. That's what I've always done in your situation and come out fine.

If the airlock is plugged, as it sounds from the description, this will not work. The airlock will need to be cleaned.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First of all, it looks like you have your airlock shoved way too far into the grommet. All you need is the small, tapered part of the airlock stem pushed into the hole. That will create a seal.

Right now, (and if the lid is bulging like you say, I mean RIGHT NOW) wiggle that airlock out. As you wiggle it, you will probably release pressure a little bit at a time. If you can't get it to come out, take the cap off of the airlock and stick something sanitized down through the stem to release pressure). Then stick one end of a siphon tube either in the grommet, or over the stem of the airlock, and put the other end in a bucket of sanitizer or water. The bucket should be lower then the top of the bucket. That's a blowoff tube and should allow the pressure to blow out safely.

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
LucaBrasi
Recipes 

Ok- thanks guys. I got it out of there, cleaned it up, santized, and re-installed the airlock. My tubing is upstairs packed away, so I'm going to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply