Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Location of various substances in fermentor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
goose1873
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

this is true...I guess the CO2 blanket should be enough but they are cheap insurance

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

it's not just cheap insurance. You need a way for CO2 to get out of the fermenter! Else the pressure builds and the whole lids blows off.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMHO it is kind of stupid to not use an airlock, I mean they cost 2.50 and ensure nothing gets in the beer. I think more people use airlocks than don't. However humans got away without airlocks for more years than we can count but we have them now why not use them. CO2 is not going to stop bacteria from traveling unless it is under pressure and is blowing the organisms out.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
HighGravity
Recipes 

Wow, thank you guys VERY much for clearing this up for me! No wonder my colors have been getting darker and taste has changed since I started leaving it in the primary for longer. I have never seen nor heard of a bucket with an airlock on it until today.

Mine and everyone I know who homebrews use a 10 gallon primary with a more loose fitting lid that would be redundant to put an air lock on.

See: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/buckets/10-gal-fermenter-and-lid.html

I think thats the same as mine, where there is plenty of breathing room where the lid touches the bucket. Totally different concept to a closed fermentor sitting for a month.

EDIT: I'm starting to freak out now - its too late to carboy tonight but I have two of my most complex beers that have been sitting in the primary for 8 days now....

Last edited by HighGravity; 04-09-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Understanding

Quick Reply