New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Liquid Yeast manufactuers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
sweetdaddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Liquid Yeast manufactuers

Are there any other liquid yeasts available besides those from White Labs and Wyeast? It seems that one of the biggest complaints from us home brewers is the cost for liquid yeasts. What would be an acceptable cost? Food for thought...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Talk to any local brew pubs in your area if you have one or more. I have two within driving distance that are happy to give out their yeast from one of their batches.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2103

People complain about $7 for a yeast pack? Seems pretty darn reasonable to me. I can't believe how lucky we are to be able to buy so many strains so easily.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
deepcdan99
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
People complain about $7 for a yeast pack? Seems pretty darn reasonable to me. I can't believe how lucky we are to be able to buy so many strains so easily.
True, but if you could go to a gas station that was giving gas away, wouldn't u go to that one to fill up first? but they ony have three choices of gas at my station, I'd pay the little extra to get more options, LOL!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Can you find other local homebrewers to swap slurry with? (that does not sound right...) That would be a free way to obtain liquid yeast. You can also culture out of bottles. That's also free after you drink the beer.

I do not know of any other providers of liquid yeast on the homebrew scale. There are larger commercial yeast banks that supply many breweries but I don't think they sell in small enough volumes to sell to homebrewers.

One $7 vial can go a long way if you are willing to wash and/or freeze yeast.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

There are plenty of ways to stretch out your yeast. You don't have to buy a pack/vial everytime you brew.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2395 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 359

When I buy a vial of white labs I usually plan two batches that I want the same strain for and just make a starter with half the vial for each batch. My LHBS sells expired vials for a third of the price so if he has something I want to use I buy it and make a starter with the whole vial.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
stephelton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are a few things you can do to alleviate the cost of yeast:

1) Get free yeast from breweries -- easier to do in some places than others.

2) Yeast washing (save a small amount of yeast from one batch for a later batch). This is a lot of work (more than $7 as far as I'm concerned) and opens the door to infections and other problems. It can be fun, though

3) Yeast cake pitching - Throw a fresh batch of wort right into the primary fermenter of another batch just after you rack it. I do this very frequently; in fact, I usually plan the styles I brew around this. This also ensures a very strong fermentation, great for big beers and lagers. I'm told you should not do this for more than a generation of beer as a lot of unwanted crap can begin to accumulate. For that reason, I always toss the yeast after I've done this a single time.

4) Yeast starters. This is a viable option as opposed to buying multiple packages of yeast (for larger batches of beer).

Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think the cost is reasonable to me.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Smart shopping takes care of the yeast cost, IMO. I've looked at listings from area HBS' (since moving to Nashua) and ruled one out completely when they want over $11 for a pack of Wyeast. I can get yeast via one of the online vendors (usually 3 packs at a time, in the insulated box) for less per pack.

IF you really don't want to spend the money on yeast, then you need to do something else. Like washing/harvesting the yeast cake from a batch and saving it for later use. I've done that before. You really do NEED to make a starter there, to be sure you actually HAVE viable yeast in the container. You also need to make sure you know what's in each container, and when it was harvested. If you have the room in a fridge, then it's a viable option. You could try yeast slanting if you have the gear for that too. Personally, that's far more effort, and cost, than I'll recover by doing so. Especially since I don't have all that much spare freezer space. The freezer in my brew fridge (a 10 cubic foot freezer top fridge) is FULL of hops. The freezer for food has, well, FOOD in it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply