Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Liquid vs Dry Yeast Fermenation Start Times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Liquid vs Dry Yeast Fermenation Start Times

This isn't another, "its been 48 hrs and my fermentation hasn't started!!!" freak out thread, just curious about other people's experiences w/ dry and liquid yeast...

I brewed an Amarillo IPA on Sunday and pitched a packet of Safale 05 (rehydrated in a cup of warm sanitized water) when my wort temp got below 80 degrees. I placed my fermentor in a tub of water in my basement with an aquarium heater and it has stayed at a constant 68 degrees. It has now been almost 48 hours and there are no signs of visible fermentation (no airlock bubbles, no krausen forming etc).

I normally use liquid yeast w/ a starter and my fermentations usually take off within 8-12 hours, but I received a pack of Safale 05 in addition to my liquid yeast by mistake from my last kit and thought I would save a little $ and use it for this batch.

I have always heard that using dry yeast leads to faster fermentation starts because the amount of yeast is double the amount in a smack pack, so what gives?

I'm obviously going to wait it out for at least 72 hours before I really start to worry and think about repitching, just wanted to hear from dry yeast users if this is a normal lag time

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Dankenstein Amber, Business Time IPA
Bottled: Country Cider, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Are you in a carboy or better bottle? Or a bucket? If the latter, have you checked for krausen?

If I don't see signs in 72 hours, I repitch.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Lag times are lag times, really regardless of whether or not the yeast is liquid or dry...I've had long lagtimes with both, and I've had short lag times with both.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
I have always heard that using dry yeast leads to faster fermentation starts because the amount of yeast is double the amount in a smack pack, so what gives?
Actually I think its other way around, particulary if you make healthy starters. Thats why liquid yeast is prefered. I had Wyeast go nuts in under 2 hours after pitching and dry yeast takes its sweet time up to 24-36 hours before it kicks in

Old 11-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Agreed, starters give the fastest fermentations, followed by dry, then liquid without a starter. personally, I use dry yeasts most of the time and don't sweat the start time. I've never had a failure.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I've been using 3 liter starters lately for my liquid yeast and the lag times have been less than a day. Sometimes dry yeast will do that for me. Sometimes it won't.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Try pitching two satchels of dry yeast sometime. It is technically an overpitch and the flavor profile will differ, but the thing will take off like a rocket. You can further reduce dry yeast lag times by rehydrating them with Go-Ferm, a special rehydration nutrient that seems to limit osmotic shock and rehydration damage.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aeration is a huge factor too. Has helped cut down my lag time significantly. I have just recently begun to make starters and use liquid yeast too and I still feel like aeration has more affect on the lag time.

Just my $.02

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
mtbiker278
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I pitched 1 satchel of S-04 into my IPA and the thing started bubbling the airlock around 6 hours, then blew the airlock out at 12 hours. From what I've read there are a lot of veriables that contribute to whether or not you're going to have a long or short lag time. OG, pitching temp, wort temp after pitching, yeast strain, yeast condition, aeration, amount of break proteins, carbohydrate profile, phase of the moon, etc....

Prepare for Ludicrous Speed! Keezer Build

Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the advice guys; like I said, I'm not freaking quite yet but I have never used dry yeast and wanted to see if this was normal. I'm going to give it until tomorrow before I hit up my LHBS and grab a pack of 1056 to speed things along...

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Dankenstein Amber, Business Time IPA
Bottled: Country Cider, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Quick Reply