Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lid blew off... should I be worried?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
HH60gunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default lid blew off... should I be worried?

Well at the moment I don't have a blow-off tube because I never ran into this problem. However after racking on top off yeast from my last batch, twice now the airlock has clogged up and the lid blew off of the fermenter. It had a shirt over it so it didn't really go anywhere but it wasn't sealed shut. How high are the chances of infection from this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I just had it happen last week, I'm not worried, mine flew about 4 feet across the room. I had the lid cleaned, re-sanitized and back on really fast. You have to realize that if it is putting out enough co2 to blow the lid it's more than likely going to be pushing up enough to keep any airborn particles from falling in, and unless your pet parakete took that moment to fly over head and poop in your bucket, you should be fine. There's no gaurentees, but it happens a lot, and most of the time our beers survive.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No need to worry, what's done is done. You should get the supplies for a blow off tube if you can. If using a 3 piece airlock, remove the cap and the float, then attach some 3/8" ID tubing to the airlock. Insert tubing in a bucket of water. Be sure to check the tubing so it doesn't get clogged. Your beer will probably be okay.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's always amazing how loud it is when the top blows off. I though my furnace exploded the last time it happened.

ugh

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
It's always amazing how loud it is when the top blows off. I though my furnace exploded the last time it happened.
The one on Sunday, I think the lid hit the basement ceiling. It was so loud, at first I didn't know what it was. My girlfriend thought something hit the house or one of our cars, and went outside. I had a feeling, and headed downstairs.

I've had the lid blpw on my last two beers, both at my gf's house. And they both sound like gunshots.

This one the lid flew 4 feet, on my barleywine the lid blew, but stayed on, and the half full quart spray bottle of starsan went about 2 feet across the room.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
alecoholic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, parakeet poop is mostly urine which is sterile.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Whut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1624 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 8548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
If using a 3 piece airlock, remove the cap and the float, then attach some 3/8" ID tubing to the airlock.
IMHO I'd also suggest you cut off the little star shape tip to avoid clumping. Then I'd insert the end of the tubing in either Starsan or Vodka.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't even bother with the airlocks anymore. I ferment all the way with a blow hose in a gallon jug of water.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Quick Reply