Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Let's talk belgian!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Unfortunately, I really dislike that method, although I have done it in the past. I enjoy experiencing exactly what the yeasts can contribute to an ale, but I immensely dislike finding out which one is my favorite, and then wishing I had 10 more gallons of that, instead of two sub-par batches with the inferior yeast. I just did it with my Oktoberfest, and I was left with 10 gallons of excellent beer, and 5 gallons of beer that I wish was excellent. :/
It's better than 15 gallons of beer that you wish was excellent. Unless you try the various yeasts, how're you to know which you prefer?
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Alright, alright, you win!

went to the store last night and picked up some Styrian Goldings, Saaz and a vial of WLP530, WLP550, and WLP570. I'm going to try and track down a vial of WLP500 as well, but my LHBS didn't have it, I'll have to go check out a different one. My plan is to make a 5 gallon test batch and split it into 1-gallon batches to test which yeast I like better. Then, which ever one wins, I basically just made a 1-gallon starter for the big show so I'm ready to go on the 10 or 15 gallon batch!

I'm going to just make a super simple recipe for the test, 12 lbs of 2-row pale (it's not authentic, but I have it on hand leftover from my last bag, so might as well use it), and 2 lbs of turbinado sugar. Should get me in the ballpark where tasting the yeast will be easy, and from there I can decide if I want to go Tripel or BGSA depending on which yeast I like the most.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm about to pitch WLP530, 545 and 570 into my BGSA/Tripel hybrid...

Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
barrooze
Recipes 

Be sure you can maintain a low temp for all those vessels. I like to keep them in the low to mid 60s for most of the primary fermentation and raise the temp as the yeasties start slowing. This will hold back unwanted fussels these yeasts will produce at higher temps.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23

Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Raising the temp at the end will actually be the challenge. I have a 7.1cuft chest freezer with a Johnson controller for early fermentation, but raising it at the end... it's November in Colorado out here, my house is almost never even warmer than 70. I might have to use my aquarium heater in a big tub with the carboys partially submerged in water. Everything I've read is to pitch at about 65, then raise it to about 85 fairly linearly over about 5 days. Sound reasonable? I definitely don't want fusel alcohols in there, it's a very Unappealing flavor. I almost poured out a bottle of Orval last week because the solvent flavor was so strong.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have a two stage Ranco. For heating, I use a hair dryer to heat the chest freezer. Works great. I just use the hair dryer on low. It turns on and off as needed. Been using that system for three years now and works like a charm. When I'm only using one demijohn (like a carboy), I use one of those heat belts. But a hair dryer works well to control the temp in the fermentation chamber, which is useful for these multiple fermenter situations.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Raising the temp at the end will actually be the challenge. I have a 7.1cuft chest freezer with a Johnson controller for early fermentation, but raising it at the end... it's November in Colorado out here, my house is almost never even warmer than 70. I might have to use my aquarium heater in a big tub with the carboys partially submerged in water. Everything I've read is to pitch at about 65, then raise it to about 85 fairly linearly over about 5 days. Sound reasonable? I definitely don't want fusel alcohols in there, it's a very Unappealing flavor. I almost poured out a bottle of Orval last week because the solvent flavor was so strong.
I ended up with a second STC-1000 that I use on the fermentor in the freezer. It connects to a FermWrap on the fermentor and I use it to ramp the temperature up without having to warm the entire ferm chamber. I use about 18" of FermWrap (~60 watts). A brew belt won't do it inside a cold chamber.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
barrooze
Recipes 

This will work as well. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ferm...-cheap-289120/

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #29
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Hmmm... I don't really want to spend another $60 on a second temp controller to run the heater. Any ideas that don't involve a second controller? I wonder about just using a space heater with a built in thermostat....

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
I wonder about just using a space heater with a built in thermostat....
I've heard most of these have temp overrides and switch off when they get too hot. You have to unplug them to reset the cut-off switch. I'd also be concerned with temp accuracy.

Quick Reply