Is a lengthy fermentation really necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a NB Belgian strong golden ale from extract kit fermenting right now. The instructions from the kit call for 2-4 weeks in primary and 2-3 months in secondary. I don't secondary so the complete fermenting/conditioning will take place in my primary. Is that long a time really necessary? I imagine that by the called for 2-4 weeks in primary, the beer would be at final gravity. What is the reason to have it in the fermenter for so much longer and is 2-3 months longer really necessary? If it will improve the end result, I will wait but I'd love to have it ready for Thanksgiving and if I let it go as long as instructions call for, it will be some time after that. What happens in those 2-3 months that won't be taken care of after say, 1 month? Thanks

Belgian yeasts often contain some Brettanomyces yeast. Brett is a very slow fermenter. So, yes, you should allow an extended fermentation for any belgian beer, especially if you're bottling.

I think the 2-3 month secondary is excessive though. After the first 2 weeks of fermentation, get that carboy to room temp (if it isn't already) and let it go for another 3 weeks. After that, feel free to bottle. I wouldn't bother with a secondary fermenter.

My friend and I went through a Belgian kick a few years ago, and we both made a ton of gushers because we were bottling after 3 weeks.

Do not leave a beer in primary for 3 months, or you risk off-flavors from autolysis, which is very unpleasant. It's a fairly rare off-flavor, but three months for a high alcohol beer does increase the odds a good bit.

The extended secondary is for bulk conditioning - allowing the flavors to mellow and "harmonize" with each other. If you did everything according to best practices (oxygenated the wort, pitched a large, healthy yeast starter, optimal fermentation temperature profile), it'll probably be good to go sooner.

Thanks, I didn't have time to make a starter so I pitched 2 smackpacks of Wyeast 1388 and a vial of WLP545 so I know I pitched enough yeast and the ambient temp is 69 degrees and the fermometer says 73 so the temps are good. The fermentation has not been as vigorous as I expected with the amount of yeast I used. I only had 2inches of krausen and now, about 60 hours after I pitched, it's really slowing down. Does this mean that my fermentation may take a bit longer to finish? Since the yeast are still flying around, I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet.

1388 can be slow and take a while to flocculate. I'd recommend leaving it at least a month before packaging. Longer will not hurt it.

Belgian yeasts often contain some Brettanomyces yeast. Brett is a very slow fermenter.

I disagree. If they had Brett in them, they would have some funky flavors, and take up to a year to fully finish.

Belgian yeasts often contain some Brettanomyces yeast.

Most of the cultures White Labs and Wyeast sell are single strains of Saccharomyces. No Brett in there. Mixed Sach/Brett cultures almost always form a pretty distinct pellicle (not sure if fermenting with Brett only forms a pellicle).

Most of the cultures White Labs and Wyeast sell are single strains of Saccharomyces. No Brett in there. Mixed Sach/Brett cultures almost always form a pretty distinct pellicle (not sure if fermenting with Brett only forms a pellicle).

OK. Thanks. I've been corrected on this before, but it doesn't seem to sink in.

Please do not perpetuate this error, it doesn't happen.

Of course it does - it's just rare. Tasting people's homebrew is part of my job, and I come across it once a month or so. It's also happened to me twice - once when using one of the recalled packs of Nottingham yeast, and once after about five months of a continuous, mixed culture apple cider fermentation. It's an unmistakable flavor/aroma.

My friend and I went through a Belgian kick a few years ago, and we both made a ton of gushers because we were bottling after 3 weeks.

This is so true. Belgian yeasts can take off fast, get pretty low so you think they are done, and then slowly keep going. I did exactly the same with my first belgian. Thought it was done, bottled it up and ended up with gushers. Now I leave my Belgians for a minimum of 5 weeks, and often a lot longer.

Here is a great quote from Brew Like a Monk...

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%"

Also Belgian yeasts do change flavor with age, so letting them sit for a longer time really helps get a good brew. If they are telling you to age it, then it probably is good advice. Most kits instructions rush things.

Back