LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Monty420th
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default leak in fermenter

Okay all, I am sure this has been covered so I am sorry

I am on about my 10 batch right now and I hadn't had any problems before this

I borrowed a friends bucket fermenter because I started really getting into brewing (still am) and I needed another one without going back to the store. when I pitched the yeast all was well in the world.

1.5 days later I still didn't see any activity so I pressed down on the lid, heard a hiss (great, I have a leak). took the top off did the smell test (which is almost like a stupid dare you make with yourself), it was def CO2.

Re-attached the lid and activity was present, it was rocking for another couple of hours then stopped. It has been sitting there since Friday morning without activity.

Normally I would not be worried however this beer is supposed to be 9.9% Alcohol which has me a little worried everything hasn't converted properly.

I have not taken a gravity reading to see where it is at, but my question is, because I had a leak, should I get another carboy and transfer it to that secondary then re-pitch another yeast on top of it?

again, sorry if it has been asked before but I appreciate any help on this, thanks

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Nope, you should take a gravity reading to see if you've hit your FG reading. Even still, you should probably let it sit for 3+ weeks in the primary.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Look up 'open fermentation'. Thinks don't need to be in a sealed environment in order to ferment out. People have been fermenting in open vats for thousands of years.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

^ true, but you don't need to worry about this being an open fermentation, it isn't. Bucket lids leak - all the time. Absolutely nothing to worry about. By "activity" I assume you mean your airlock - don't pay any attention to it. Follow the advice above, after 3 weeks or so start taking hydrometer readings and see where it's at.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Monty420th
Recipes 

yeah I was going to let this sit in the primary for 3 weeks originally, just didn't know if having a possible leak in the lid was going to cause complications or not. thanks for the advice

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal