Lazy Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Hi,
I am thinking of experimenting by adding .50-1lb of corn sugar to my next batch of ale to raise abv without the sweetness I would get if I used my normal grain bill (9.25lbs 1.070). The question I have is, would there be an affect on the ale yeast? I was thinking that the yeast would be consuming maltose and a less complex sugar to convert, does the presence of the corn sugar make the yeast lazy were they will have a problem converting the maltose?

I have read the same thing, and have been waiting to add the simple sugar until fermentation starts to slow down just to be safe. You are also less likely to have an exploding fermenter if you limit how much sugar is available to the yeast at any one time.

You can safely add 1 lb of simple sugar without any issues. Pretty much every belgian beer has at least that much. Just make sure you control the temps during fermentation and you'll be fine.

You can safely add 1 lb of simple sugar without any issues. Pretty much every belgian beer has at least that much. Just make sure you control the temps during fermentation and you'll be fine.

Billl,
When do you add the sugar? So are you saying my concern with having simple sugar and maltose in same solution will not affect the yeast in there ability to convert the more complexed maltose?
Thank's

I have read the same thing, and have been waiting to add the simple sugar until fermentation starts to slow down just to be safe. You are also less likely to have an exploding fermenter if you limit how much sugar is available to the yeast at any one time.

Riot,
Were did you read about yeast ability to convert maltose when there is simple sugars in the same solution? The reason I ask is I searched and could not find, that is why I posted this thread.

Unless this is a really big beer, just add the sugar to the boil. It will be fine. I've read that simple vs complex sugar thing in a few places too, but I've never seen a problem in my beer nor any studies actually confirming that it is an issue. Many of the worlds top rated beers add simple sugars to the brew kettle.

If it is truly a monster of a brew, then you can hold off and add it mid-fermentation. That will keep the ABV and yeast stress down longer and they will still have no problem chewing through simple sugar later. That is more a yeast management issue though than simple vs complex sugars. You could just as easily reserve some wort and add it in stages.

I make an extract DIPA that uses 1 lb of corn sugar to help dry it out. I add it to the brew kettle at flameout. It's a 1.087 beer made with good ole US-05 and the yeast does just fine munching the simple and complex sugars without stalling.

Unless this is a really big beer, just add the sugar to the boil. It will be fine. I've read that simple vs complex sugar thing in a few places too, but I've never seen a problem in my beer nor any studies actually confirming that it is an issue. Many of the worlds top rated beers add simple sugars to the brew kettle.

If it is truly a monster of a brew, then you can hold off and add it mid-fermentation. That will keep the ABV and yeast stress down longer and they will still have no problem chewing through simple sugar later. That is more a yeast management issue though than simple vs complex sugars. You could just as easily reserve some wort and add it in stages.

Billl,
Got it, I usually make big starter, plus the batch will probably around 1.080, so I will add sugar at the end of boil.
Thank's

I make an extract DIPA that uses 1 lb of corn sugar to help dry it out. I add it to the brew kettle at flameout. It's a 1.087 beer made with good ole US-05 and the yeast does just fine munching the simple and complex sugars without stalling.

Boydster,
what is your usual FG with a batch like that, I to use 05, also nottingham. I had no luck getting good attenuation with extract with an average of 68%,now with all grain it's around 85%, that is why I switch to all grain.
Cheer's

Boydster,
what is your usual FG with a batch like that, I to use 05, also nottingham. I had no luck getting good attenuation with extract with an average of 68%,now with all grain it's around 85%, that is why I switch to all grain.
Cheer's

1.087 -> 1.017, so 80% attenuation

I used fresh harvested yeast with a good pitch rate (I usually go by MrMalty.com) and plenty of aeration. The first time I made an extract DIPA, I didn't use corn sugar and had a slightly different recipe, but I got noticeably lesser attenuation - 75%. That went from 1.073 to 1.018.

Hi,
I am thinking of experimenting by adding .50-1lb of corn sugar to my next batch of ale to raise abv without the sweetness I would get if I used my normal grain bill (9.25lbs 1.070). The question I have is, would there be an affect on the ale yeast? I was thinking that the yeast would be consuming maltose and a less complex sugar to convert, does the presence of the corn sugar make the yeast lazy were they will have a problem converting the maltose?

The answer is no. Use sucrose (table sugar) if you want to save money. It will have the same outcome.

Back