Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Latest Lager Redux - what I have learned.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #51
crackhead7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One of my brew club members just fixed a lager with DMS with new yeast. He made a small stater and pitched at high kreausen SP? let it sit at Room temp for a week then went back to lagering. Worked well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #52
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm going to pull some samples today and see if the diacetyl and acetaldehyde have subsided any since I put the temps back down.

If after a couple more weeks it's not working, I'm going to follow the suggestion and add some starters at high krausen, let them ferment out at lager temps, then transfer to kegs for lagering and to free up my ferm freezer.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #53
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Welp, for some reason, while last week's samples tasted like otherwise OK beer with tons of diacetyl and acetaldehyde, yesterday's samples tasted like complete ass with diacetyl and acetaldehyde.

So, this weekend, I'm going to be making a gallon lager yeast starter, pitching at high krausen, letting them sit at 65 for a week, and transferring to kegs to lager. At least that way I can free up my fermentation fridge for ales.

If time doesn't heal, I'll dump, and revisit lager brewing in 2013.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
bernerbrau
Recipes 

OK. Made two half-gallon W-34/70 starters this weekend. Had krausen today, so I just dumped them into the two lager batches, which I then took out of the freezer to come up to temp.

A little concerned about oxygen but I'm hoping the yeast chew through it. Both lagers also had a thin waxy film on top. I'm hoping it's not an infection.

Anyway. Next time I do a lager, I'm going to be doing the forced fermentation test so I can ramp up for a D-rest at 85% attenuation, and I'll be leaving it on the cake until I can lager in the keg.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #55
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Damnedest thing. So 9 days ago I pitched the starters and raised the temperature to ~68F. I pulled samples today and both beers have improved dramatically. They still taste "yeasty", but lagering will help that for sure.

I've got 2 empty kegs; this weekend they're going straight in.

Quick Reply