Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Latest Lager Redux - what I have learned.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have no experience with final product after 02 aeration, but my last two brews (ales) I used my new O2 stone and they took off like rockets within hours. The blow off wouldn't stop for over a day. I've had vigorous fermentations before, but these two just seemed above normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Osagedr, do you aerate your ales as well? What effect does that have on your final product?
I do aerate my ales. I've never done a split batch with and without aeration to assess impact on the finished beer. My belief based on what I have read is that getting the recommended PPM of O2 into my beer will create optimal conditions for yeast growth, and as a result a healthy fermentation.

I have read at least one thread on HBT where a brewer swore they tasted a big difference in their finished beer after they started aerating with O2.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I do aerate my ales. I've never done a split batch with and without aeration to assess impact on the finished beer. My belief based on what I have read is that getting the recommended PPM of O2 into my beer will create optimal conditions for yeast growth, and as a result a healthy fermentation.

I have read at least one thread on HBT where a brewer swore they tasted a big difference in their finished beer after they started aerating with O2.
Sounds good. Can't wait to get an APA or IPA going with the O2 stone.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The colder your wort, the more O2 it can grab.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Nice. Does mg/L translate directly to PPM? And can we assume wort would have the same oxygen soluability as water? If the answer to both of those is yes, then can we get no more than 9 PPM at 70 degrees (20 Celcius)? I'm uneasy with that.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
aomagman78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That chart is missing a pressure, or rather partial pressure indication. As the partial pressure goes up (in the case of O2 stone, considerably) so will your solubility. The affect will be the same as CO2 in your beer. At room temp, it isn't in equilibrium which is why it bubbles, but this happens slowly without an event to propogate it. The same will be true for your oxygenation. You are getting greater than this chart with an O2 stone, but probably not much since the contact time is short. Partial Pressure is Ptot*mol%. So for us lowely shakers it's 1atm*.2 = .2atm. Your feed with O2 stone is going to be a partial pressure of whatever your outlet is. The relationship isn't linear, but you're going to get significantly greater solubility.

And yes, mg/L = ppm

Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #17
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Thanks for the technical explanation. I've seen references to 20 or more PPM but maybe that's just with brewery-grade equipment?

My take-home message from this thread and a bit of other reading on the topic today is that it's virtually impossible to over-aerate your wort with pure O2 at the start of fermentation. I had been wondering about the 60 second rule-of-thumb. Now the question is how much O2 to "waste" trying to get those PPM up given the max soluability people are referring to at the pressure homebrewing O2 systems can deliver.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 10-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Thanks for the technical explanation. I've seen references to 20 or more PPM but maybe that's just with brewery-grade equipment?

My take-home message from this thread and a bit of other reading on the topic today is that it's virtually impossible to over-aerate your wort with pure O2 at the start of fermentation. I had been wondering about the 60 second rule-of-thumb. Now the question is how much O2 to "waste" trying to get those PPM up given the max soluability people are referring to at the pressure homebrewing O2 systems can deliver.
Every thread I have read is to turn the O2 on until you just see it bubbling on the surface. 45 to 60 seconds of this is the local advice.

Also, Osage, can you explain your comment further that it is virtually impossible to over-aerate your wort? I have heard that this is possible with pure o2 and to avoid it (regardless of the fact that we have no way to measure if it is or not).

Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Every thread I have read is to turn the O2 on until you just see it bubbling on the surface. 45 to 60 seconds of this is the local advice.

Also, Osage, can you explain your comment further that it is virtually impossible to over-aerate your wort? I have heard that this is possible with pure o2 and to avoid it (regardless of the fact that we have no way to measure if it is or not).
What I read in multiple locations (I didn't keep the links but will see if I can find one or two) is that any excess O2 would dissipate and that the yeast would use all available O2 in the first half a day or so after fermentation begins.

Also if you look at the soluability chart provided by 944play, it looks like it's difficult to get more than 10 or 12 PPM into your wort, even at lager pitching temps. So how would you over-oxygenate, given that you see recommended PPM of up to 26 for big beers? Certainly 20 PPM would never hurt any beer (10 PPM is the minimum recommended), and it looks like it would be difficult for homebrewers to even get to 20 PPM given our rather low-tech oxygen delivery methods. So that's why I have this impression that over-aerating would be virtually impossible.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The chart is great but one thing is says to me is that lagering at a temperature in the low 50s, which is the comfort level for most lager yeasts, is not too significantly different from lagering in the mid-40s. My experience has been that when I go lower than 50F I have seriously delayed fermentations that always worry me (but should not.)

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Quick Reply