Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   Late start, a little mold... (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/late-start-little-mold-167022/)

GarrettLaneBC 03-08-2010 02:32 PM

Late start, a little mold...
 
So I brewed an APA last Saturday. Once I got it to pitching temps, I dumped it in the fermenter (Ale Pail), put the lid on, and shook the hell out of it. I then removed the lid, poured my dry yeast over the top of the foamy mess below, put the lid back on, and set it aside to ferment. Usually I would shake it again to make sure the yeast finds liquid, this time I did not. Days went by without any bubbles, but I decided to be patient.

Well on Thursday, after seeing no activity yet, I finally decided to pop the top and investigate. As I suspected, there was no sign of krausen and the hydro sample revealed no activity. There were, however, two little bits of mold floating on the top. So i did what any good brewer would do. Dump it? Hell no. I sanitized a spoon and scooped the mold off. I then closed it back up, gave a good swirl to try and rouse the yeast, and left it alone. Next day, active fermentation!

I think once the bubbles from aerating the wort subsided, it just gently lay the yeast on top of wort and never got them mixed in. When I scooped the mold, the top layer seemed (for lack of a better word) "chunky" of "goopy" like there could have been a think yeast slurry on top. Then with no CO2 to purge the air, this sugary solution started to mold.

I plan to let it continue on its merry way and taste it once its finished. Do you think I need to worry about a further infection? Would there be an concern with bottling this batch once it's done? Has anyone ever added yeast so gently that fermentation didn't start?

maida7 03-08-2010 02:39 PM

Dry yeast should be properly hydrated before pitching.

If the beer has a sour flavor that would be a sign that you have an infection. Some infections can attenuate the beer way down. So don't rush to bottle as you may end up with bottle bombs as the infection continues to eat the sugars.

gently? what the heck does that mean?

GarrettLaneBC 03-08-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maida7 (Post 1930738)
gently? what the heck does that mean?

As I said, the yeast was resting on top of the foam from shaking the wort to aerate. Usually I shake it again to incorporate the yeast better, this time I was lazy. I think as the foam dissipated, the yeast (that had been on top), was laid "gently" on the top of the wort, where it hydrated itself, but never really got going. That's the only explanation I can come up with. It's not very scientific, but its all I've got.

And I've never rehydrated my Notty and I've never had a problem (although this could count as the first I suppose)

TipsyDragon 03-08-2010 04:01 PM

dry yeast will have a very difficult time hydrating themselves in a high sugar environment, like a wort. always hydrate your dry yeast before using no matter what the package says.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.