Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Late fermentation every time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
ph0ngwh0ng
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Late fermentation every time

Hi!

I'm fairly new to AG and brewing in general. I'm trying hard to setup a stable, constant system.

However, I'm finding that fermentation (krausen and/or bubbling) always takes more than 24 hours to start. While the beer turns out fine, with no contamination whatsoever, this is pretty nerve-wracking every time.

I cool the wort using an IC down to tap water temp (~68F) and I control fermentation temperature using a modified freezer, and tend to ferment ales on the cold side, but not too much (~65F). I make a 1.5-2L starter as per Wyeast instructions on their website, chill it to drop the yeast, decant it, let it warm up to room temp, then pitch it. I then shake the crap out of the carboy for 5 minutes.

I'm pretty clueless on that one..

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

A starter is always good! The thing is, some beers need a small 2L starter, while others might need a bigger starter to have the optimum amount of yeast.

There are two really good yeast pitching calculators out there- mrmalty.com (go to "yeast tools" and choose pitching calculator) or yeastcalc.com

Check it out, and see if your starters are actually the proper amount that you need for each batch. My guess is not.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

No worries. A 24 hour lag period is fine so long as you pitch enough yeast and hit your temps right. It sounds like you're working at addressing both so long as you're not brewing higher gravity beers or lagers.

The goal isn't a fast, vigorous ferment, but a healthy one within the optimal temp range for the yeast that will result in a pleasant-tasting beer.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
A starter is always good! The thing is, some beers need a small 2L starter, while others might need a bigger starter to have the optimum amount of yeast.

There are two really good yeast pitching calculators out there- mrmalty.com (go to "yeast tools" and choose pitching calculator) or yeastcalc.com

Check it out, and see if your starters are actually the proper amount that you need for each batch. My guess is not.
I do all my calculations with Beersmith, and have double checked with yeastcalc.

I also brewed lower and higher gravity beers, all had about the same lag period. I never had to step up a starter, but if I had to, I would.

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Yeast don't work by time or calendar, they honestly have no idea if they're late or not so neither should you

If you are doing everything right to ensure proper pitch rate and controlling temps and turning out good beer then don't worry about it, they'll get the job done in the time frame THEY need, might not be yours though....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngwh0ng View Post
I do all my calculations with Beersmith, and have double checked with yeastcalc.

I also brewed lower and higher gravity beers, all had about the same lag period. I never had to step up a starter, but if I had to, I would.
Then it sounds fine! You mentioned making a 1.5-2L starter, per Wyeast, that's why I mentioned using yeastcalc. In most cases, a 1.5L starter isn't big enough.

For example, a 1.060 OG 5 gallon batch of beer with yeast that was made on October 5, you'd need a starter of 3.21 liters to get to the optimum amount of yeast, per mrmalty.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do you use a stir plate?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If the beer tastes fine, then don't worry.

I get concerned when mine start quicker than 12 hours. The yeast need time to reproduce. If it starts too early I get concerned that I over-pitched and do not have enough fresh yeast.

I like to start between 12 and 24 hours.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
If the beer tastes fine, then don't worry.

I get concerned when mine start quicker than 12 hours. The yeast need time to reproduce. If it starts too early I get concerned that I over-pitched and do not have enough fresh yeast.

I like to start between 12 and 24 hours.
I have no concerns about when my fermentations start. I pitch proper sized starters, ferment at proper controlled temperatures. I get great beers.

Most of my fermentation show some signs after 4-6 hours and almost always by the next morning. If they don't start before going to bed that day, I don't get worried and all have started in 12-18 hours.

I have also read enough that I would not get too worried for at least a couple of days.

If you treat your yeast well, they will reward you with good BEER!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've heard adding an oxygen setup will speed up the initial fermentation time. Shaking only gets you so far…

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Quick Reply