Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Last two beers dis not ferment out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Kluxen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Last two beers dis not ferment out

Could it be the hot temp lately? I don't have a controlled environment to ferment in. Can I dose them with another batch of yeast? Both stalled around half way to desired fg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluxen View Post
Could it be the hot temp lately? I don't have a controlled environment to ferment in. Can I dose them with another batch of yeast? Both stalled around half way to desired fg.
Heat would make them ferment more strongly. How are you measuring gravity? All-grain or extract? Recipes? Starter or no?

Need MOAR info

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Kluxen
Recipes 

All grain, with starters. Beers are black ipa and cream ale. Both with 1056. Both had vigorous fermentations initially. I recently switched to a spectrometer from a hydrometer. I calibrated it. Could it be off? Never had a problem before.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
All grain, with starters. Beers are black ipa and cream ale. Both with 1056. Both had vigorous fermentations initially. I recently switched to a spectrometer from a hydrometer. I calibrated it. Could it be off? Never had a problem before.
A refractometer? Are you correcting for alcohol in the beer?

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Kluxen
Recipes 

Yeah, one of those things. How do I correct for alcohol?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, one of those things. How do I correct for alcohol?
Try an online calculator like this one.

You have to correct for the presence of alcohol in solution. I bet your beers finished just fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Kluxen
Recipes 

I'm a little confused, because my refractometer reads both brix and grav. My og was 1.049 and my fg is 1.024 for the cream ale. That is not fully fermented. But if I go by brix and run it through the calculator you provided I am money. What am I missing.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You go by brix and correct it to specific gravity with alcohol present. It measures refracted light so it doesn't matter what the scale is named it still needs to be corrected for alcohol.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The initial reading for Brix is correct. The SG next to it is a correct calculation. Once fermentation begins and alcohol is present, the SG readout is useless. So is the Brix reading unless you convert. You must know the original Brix reading. When you take a new reading you must then compensate for the presence of alcohol using a chart like the one mentioned above.

Example: Say your original Brix reading was 15. That's a SG of 1.062. Let's say your final reading is 8 Brix. If you don't convert, 8 Brix = 1.032. You would think your beer has stalled and must suck! But if you start with 15 Brix and finish with 8 Brix your finished gravity is actually 1.013...

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Does it taste sweet? Forget math, use your senses, then see if the math matches. We get too hung up I. The tech and forget our own built in hydrometers.

Quick Reply