Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lagering under pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
jmp138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Lagering under pressure

So I brewed Richards Pumpkin Ale about a month and a half ago. It got three weeks in the primary, three weeks in the secondary and I just transfered it to the keg to lager for another month. So this particular keg doesn't hold pressure incredibly well and its just easier to hit it with a constant ten psi, rather than purging it every day.

My question is, does lagering for extended periods under pressure have any significant effect as compared to simply purging the keg with co2 and lagering for the same period of time. I don't see how it matters, just looking for a more definitive answer. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

You can leave it pressurized.

Check out the 'Natural Carbonation' section of Kaiser's Fermenting Lagers article. It should answer some questions. I do all my lagers that way (I know yours is an ale but this should answer some questions about it).

EDIT: This is an uber-long thread but Wortmongers first post might help too.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 10-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply