Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lagering?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

How can I get down to 55 for fermenting, my fridge doesn't go that high

__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
shelly_belly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rabbittown, Bama
Posts: 1,494
Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Use this...

s-type_airlock.jpg  
__________________
shelly_belly is offline
worksnorth Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,312
Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010
How can I get down to 55 for fermenting, my fridge doesn't go that high
I don't know what your situation is, I personally can only ferment lagers in the winter and spring. What I've done is put the fermenter of wort in an ice bath in an ice chest and let it hit 50, then pitch. In the winter the garage is about 50, so I don't meet to add ice once I get it there, and the water bath keeps temps stable. In the spring I swap out 1 frozen liter bottle of water every day to keep it maintained. If your doing the same thing that may change to 2 pints a day. Who needs a fermentation chamber?
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

I don't know what your situation is, I personally can only ferment lagers in the winter and spring. What I've done is put the fermenter of wort in an ice bath in an ice chest and let it hit 50, then pitch. In the winter the garage is about 50, so I don't meet to add ice once I get it there, and the water bath keeps temps stable. In the spring I swap out 1 frozen liter bottle of water every day to keep it maintained. If your doing the same thing that may change to 2 pints a day. Who needs a fermentation chamber?
Are you talking like a box that you built for putting ice in to keep it cool?
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,312
Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

Are you talking like a box that you built for putting ice in to keep it cool?
Just simply an ice chest. I use a cube type chest and that seems to work well. I used to use a Rubbermaid tub as an ice bath and that was hard to keep stable temps in, but an ice chest works great. Someone on the forum has even rigged one up with a foam lid to put over the fermenter to hold in the cold. I think it was Yooper actually. I have no plans to ever build a ferm chamber. It's just too unipurpose.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Just simply an ice chest. I use a cube type chest and that seems to work well. I used to use a Rubbermaid tub as an ice bath and that was hard to keep stable temps in, but an ice chest works great. Someone on the forum has even rigged one up with a foam lid to put over the fermenter to hold in the cold. I think it was Yooper actually. I have no plans to ever build a ferm chamber. It's just too unipurpose.
Hmmmm, I'm just having a brain fart. Ice chest is to small?
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,312
Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

Hmmmm, I'm just having a brain fart. Ice chest is to small?
Most chests will fit a bucket or carboy. I like the cube style ones because the water comes up higher on the bucket.

So to recap, you put your fermenter in the chest, and fill with ice and water. When it's chilled, you maintain that temp by adding frozen bottles of water as necessary. It's surprisingly easy.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
biestie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 320
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v
Just curious (being new to lagers), why not just lager it in a keg?
Winner winner chicken dinner
__________________
biestie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Most chests will fit a bucket or carboy. I like the cube style ones because the water comes up higher on the bucket.

So to recap, you put your fermenter in the chest, and fill with ice and water. When it's chilled, you maintain that temp by adding frozen bottles of water as necessary. It's surprisingly easy.
Is it to cold to ferment at 45 degrees???
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,312
Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

Is it to cold to ferment at 45 degrees???
Depends on the strain. The Urquell strain that I like to use is good at 45.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS