New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lagering?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default lagering?

I have a maibock lager, and I wanted to know how you prevent suckback when you lager? I havent put it in my fridge yet because I wanted to ask first. Is it better to have a blow off tube? Or just a airlock



__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,173
Liked 2605 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010
I have a maibock lager, and I wanted to know how you prevent suckback when you lager? I havent put it in my fridge yet because I wanted to ask first. Is it better to have a blow off tube? Or just a airlock
I don't use an airlock at all. I either use a lid with no hole, or a solid bung plug.


__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

I don't use an airlock at all. I either use a lid with no hole, or a solid bung plug.
A lid? What kind of lid, I think I might have a no holed bung. But I guess it makes sense if its not fermenting. It won't create to much pressure? Or am I just dumb.
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,173
Liked 2605 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

A lid? What kind of lid, I think I might have a no holed bung. But I guess it makes sense if its not fermenting. It won't create to much pressure? Or am I just dumb.
No pressure, it's done fermenting. I mean a bucket lid if you're using a bucket, or a solid bung if you're using a carboy.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

No pressure, it's done fermenting. I mean a bucket lid if you're using a bucket, or a solid bung if you're using a carboy.
Gotchya, makes sense. Sweetness. Thanks a lot.
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

No pressure, it's done fermenting. I mean a bucket lid if you're using a bucket, or a solid bung if you're using a carboy.
What about when I'm fermenting at 50 degrees how do I prevent suck back then ???
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,173
Liked 2605 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

What about when I'm fermenting at 50 degrees how do I prevent suck back then ???
I've never noticed suck back while cold fermenting. It shouldn't be a big deal of a little sucks back, just use Starsan in the airlock.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,702
Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Default

When I move my beer to the fridge to lager (or for cold crashing), I replace the bung/airlock with sanitized foil to prevent suck back. It's the cooling of the liquid that causes the vacuum, so if you just replace the airlock/bung with a solid bung or with some sanitized foil, that would be fine. You can always put the airlock back on after the temperature is stable, if you're worried about not having an airlock during lagering. (Although sanitized foil with a rubber band hold it down to cover the fermenter is absolutely fine).

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
william2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
When I move my beer to the fridge to lager (or for cold crashing), I replace the bung/airlock with sanitized foil to prevent suck back. It's the cooling of the liquid that causes the vacuum, so if you just replace the airlock/bung with a solid bung or with some sanitized foil, that would be fine. You can always put the airlock back on after the temperature is stable, if you're worried about not having an airlock during lagering. (Although sanitized foil with a rubber band hold it down to cover the fermenter is absolutely fine).
What would be better, foil or solid bung?
__________________
william2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,328
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Just curious (being new to lagers), why not just lager it in a keg?



__________________
Resistance Brewing Co.
Resist Crap, Drink Craft!
riored4v is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes