Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Yeast and temp how Important

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
barnyard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Yeast and temp how Important

I’m new to brewing. I Have a Mr. Beer kit that I have made 5 batches of beer that have turned out good. I started reading about yeast and not using the yeast under the cap. So I made a Cowboy Lager and used S-23 dry Lager yeast. I made the batch fermented it for 14 days bottled it and held off 32 days before I put on in the fridge to test it out. When I popped it open it was flat. Had a few bubbles in and no head what so ever. So I started reading about lagers. I think my problem is temp. The room that I have my beer is 74 deg. So how big of a problem is this.
Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Having never done a Mr. Beer, I don't know how you carbonate your beer, I would assume sugar of some sort. Temperature will not affect how your beer carbonates.

How your beer tastes is a very different story. S23 is most comfortable around 45 degrees. Having it 30 degrees higher than that won't kill the yeast or make it not work, but your beer has a very high chance of gathering some weird tasting stuff.

Perhaps someone with some more Mr. Beer experience can help you with why it didn't carbonate, but all I can tell you is the reason is probably not temperature.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
barnyard
Recipes 

I used raw sugar to prime my beer.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Your yeast may have been killed then, or just over stressed.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
barnyard
Recipes 

so what would be my next step should i get more yeast and open the bottles and add more yeast to it? I was thinking about doing that. I put them in flip-tops so it would not be that hard.

Quick Reply