New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager yeast, stuck fermentation????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
spleefy42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Lager yeast, stuck fermentation????

Hi everyone!

I built a keezer recently, and decided to give a go at lagering. I pitched with Wyeast Pilsner Urquell strain. Nothing unusual about the brew, batch sparge, dry hopped, cooled the wort and pitched. I should note, however, that I couldn't find my hydrometer due to my wife's 'organization' recently, so I sadly don't have an OG. I left the carboy out at room temp for about 24 hours, and after seeing no activity I thought it best to chill and moved it to the keezer. The keezer is running about 58-59 at the moment. A few days go by, and still no tell tale signs of fermentation. I ran out to my LHBS and bought another packet, this time making a yeast starter. I did it a little differently this time, and after pitching, put it directly into the keezer to get it to the same temp as the existing wort. There was a bit of sediment on the bottom the next day, but during my periodic checks, no apparent airlock activity. On a whim, I bought some bohemian lager yeast and made a starter following the first method I used, and I'm seeing a decent amount of activity. Since this is my first attempt at lager, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on proper technique for pitching. I've got a couple of pictures of the growth on the top of the carboy, hopefully some one more experienced can give me some direction! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

What was the OG, and what is the SG now? We really need that info to advise on the best next step.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't think there was an OG reading taken. Probably could take the recipe and expected efficiency of the system and come up with something close, but there is no way now to know exactly what it was. Can you take a gravity reading now? It might give some idea of whether the numbers are budging or not.

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brewstand-pics-coming-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodine-motor-grain-mill-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
spleefy42
Recipes 

Yopper, as I said, I couldn't find my hydrometer. I'm going to head to my LHBS tomorrow and pick up another. I was just hoping someone could give me a rundown of the proper way to pitch lager yeast.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleefy42 View Post
Yopper, as I said, I couldn't find my hydrometer. I'm going to head to my LHBS tomorrow and pick up another. I was just hoping someone could give me a rundown of the proper way to pitch lager yeast.
Sounds like you did, more than once!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

hope this helps. kind of goes into starters for lager and you can branch out to the pitch and diacetyl rest from there
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-4.html

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brewstand-pics-coming-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodine-motor-grain-mill-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

spleefy42 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
spleefy42
Recipes 

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like this was your first lager? If so, you do not see the same signs of the yeast going to work like you do when using an ale yeast. Where lager yeast are bottom fermenting, you don't get a larger krausen forming at the top and lager yeasts, since usually at a lower starting temp will take a little longer to get going. Many times all you will see on the top of the wort is what you showed in your pictures.

We are Boston Strong!

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Heady or Not Here I Come (Heady Topper clone).
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

spleefy42 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Pitching the proper amount of yeast is key. Go to www.yeastcalc.com to figure out what size starter/number of steps will be required.

It sounds like your first pitch did not use a starter, that is way under-pitched. Using a starter with your second round MIGHT have gotten you closer but probably still shy.

Assuming an OG around 45-50 (Bo Pils) you probably needed a 2-step starter of 1.5 to 2 liters or a single 4 liter starter.

If your SG is not changing you need to get a good starter going and pitch it at high krausen....oxygenation would be ideal as long as you haven't started fermenting yet.

Are you using FermAid K or another yeast nutrient?

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
spleefy42 Likes This 

Quick Reply