Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Yeast starter suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
(b) I didn't know there were even dry lager yeasts. Example?

(c) I assume you mean for a 10-gallon batch. 2 liters in a 5 gallon batch is slightly under what Mrmalty recommends (3 liters).
(b) as someone else noted, W-34/70 and S-23 from Fermentis. Both are very good; I've done quite well in competitions with beers made using them.

(c) yes, OP specified a 10 gallon batch.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupulist View Post
As per a concern above, we have never had any problems brewing our ales with a single packet of yeast without a starter, they have always hit their fg numbers and the activity usually kicks in full throttle during the first night.
Do you mean packet of dry yeast? If so, you don't make a starter for dry yeast but you should rehydrate it according to the manufacturer specs. One is enough for most OG's.
If you meant liquid smack pack or vial of liquid yeast, yes you are underpitching. Run the numbers in Mr. Malty if you don't believe me. Just because the yeast "worked" [with airlock activity and FG numbers reached] does not mean it was an optimal fermentation. Underpitching has an effect on flavor. Wyeast website snip: "Under-pitching ..will produce an aroma and flavor profile that is less than desirable..".

cheers

Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
Lupulist
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
If you meant liquid smack pack or vial of liquid yeast, yes you are underpitching. Run the numbers in Mr. Malty if you don't believe me. Just because the yeast "worked" [with airlock activity and FG numbers reached] does not mean it was an optimal fermentation. Underpitching has an effect on flavor. Wyeast website snip: "Under-pitching ..will produce an aroma and flavor profile that is less than desirable..".
Wow, I ran the numbers on Malty like you suggested and you're right. We usually use the dry packets but on occasion we have used the Wyeast smack packs. They may not have hit optimum fermentation but I havent noticed any off flavors so I guess we got lucky.

That is kind of misleading though, because right on the package Wyeast claims it "is designed to inoculate 5 gallons of wort with the same pitch rate recommended by professional brewers." And on their site they say that it is good for 5 gallons of wort up to 1.060og.

I wonder since you release the nutrient and let the pack incubate and swell up for 3+ hours if it acts as a makeshift starter to increase the count before you pitch? I cant imagine the count would double in a few hours though. Why would they claim that right on the package...?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

There is a lot of discussion here about wyeast and white labs saying that but they also say to pitch in 70-75* wort and keep it there until fermentation starts-- which is pretty warm so your wort is the starter. They don't want to scare away a purchase. The fine print says use a starter if it is old or you want a faster start (ie no need for the yeast to replicate numbers in the warm wort).
and no the WY nutrient pack is not a starter; it is just a viability test.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Instead of a 3 pack starter just do a multi stage step up starting with one pack.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Lupulist
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
Instead of a 3 pack starter just do a multi stage step up starting with one pack.
That would be a great way to save money, but too late. Due to time constraints i just did a single step with 3 packs. I think next time for sure i will try a step starter.

Quick Reply